Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 10:00 AM

10 posts, read 20,729 times

Advertisements

Ok so like so many I will be planning to relocate to the Raleigh area Family and. We are looking to move Jun/Jul 09. Our first priority is finding a job and doing so from another state. Have any of you been succesful with doing so while living somewhere else? What was you process and how flexible were the employeers? My husband is a comp tech/programmer etc and I am a med asst also with a sect background. I would love your experiences/feedback thank you...

Candace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 11:51 AM

556 posts, read 946,416 times
Do a search in this forum. This has been discussed many times already.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 PM

331 posts, read 1,307,965 times
From my personal experience and from what I have read, employers respond better to people with who already live in NC.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,030,746 times
New Year, what sort of programming work do you do?

My husband is a video game programmer/engineer (C++ mostly). We were not living in North Carolina when he was offered his current job. He found the job through internet research & job websites like Monster. We weren't looking of moving specifically to North Carolina, but of all of the companies that were interested in him, he liked the company here in NC best. So that was that!

Now that my husband is well established at this company, he is part of the hiring process. He writes & reviews engineering tests and attends interviews for prospective employees. The company is growing and is hiring right now, but they can afford to be very selective so they're hiring slowly. Basically, they aren't concerned about putting bodies in offices. They prefer to wait for the right people to come along. They consider local candidates as well as out-of-state candidates. The current location of those candidates is not so much of an issue. They're far more concerned with talent and personality type. From what we've heard from friends who work at other gaming companies in the area, this is pretty standard hiring procedure for this industry.

I can't speak for other programming industries, but I hope this helps anyway.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM

5,729 posts, read 17,536,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
He writes & reviews engineering tests and attends interviews for prospective employees.
I used to write and review engineering tests for cell phone email, calendar, and personal information management applications. Writing tests for video games sounds much more fun

Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,062,546 times
Epic Games creators of the highly successful Gears of War and Unreal franchises is located in Cary just outside of Raleigh and they're hiring.

See link: Epic games is hiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary