Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 AM

90 posts, read 237,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Two out of three American and foreign corporations dba in the United States paid no taxes from 1998 to 2005. A quarter of large corporations paid no taxes over that time frame. Overall, "from 2000 to 2005, revenue from federal and state corporate income tax averaged 2.2 percent of the U.S. GDP, compared to an average of 3.4 percent in 30 of its trading-partner countries." Source. High taxes aren't the problem. Yes, there are more environmental requirements here than in, say, China. Thank goodness.

The article is from a paper in San Francisco. Anything coming out of loonyville out there does not qualify for accurate information.

The fact remains that we need to encourage businesses to be in this country and not overseas. Why on Earth would a business be in this country rather than out of the country if things are harder and more expensive here? Businesses are not our enemy. The tax breaks given to corporations to come to the Triangle is the reason why we have jobs here. I like having a job, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
It is a funny situation. So many people hate big business and think they are the bad guy. Make them pay big taxes and jump through hoops to actually do business. Yet these are the companies we need to get paid and put food on the table. People need to wake up a realize that big business is not our enemy. It is our friend. We need each other. It seems that manufacturing jobs have moved over seas to avoid all the red tape that exists here in this country. More and more of the quality jobs are knowledge based and not so much manufacturing. That is where this area shines. Everyone better pay attention to the fact that you need a good education and need to keep on top of your skills. We need a flexible work force. There is no more working 40 years for a company and then retiring. It is about stay ahead of the curve and keep yourself marketable. It takes effort and work, but it is up to each individual to outshine the other.
The "red tape" sometimes provides humane working conditions and prevents disastrous pollution. Do you recall the Mexican babies born with no brain after their water was polluted by the maquiladoras?

Big business and government are in cahoots to support these losers who make inferior goods and take away our jobs.

If this was 1944, our lampshades would be stamped "Made in Auschwitz" if Hitler would undercut our producers.

This is what's ruining our country. Remember it in November.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
There is a big difference between finding a job, and finding your desired salary. Raleigh/Durham is great for finding a job, as to the rate....it will vary.
Unemployment here in the Triangle is one of the highest it has been in years, so I wouldn't consider it "great for finding a job" unless you compare it to places where it is even worse.

newsobserver.com | Unemployment rate at highest level in four years (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1153939.html - broken link)

Old 08-17-2008, 11:42 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Well actually the layoffs occured do to sales being down. The jobs were eliminated; NOT sent overseas. The plant I worked at made fabrics that go in several makes of automobile, material for home furnishings, and the fire-blocking material that goes in matresses. The losses in these particula rindustries are to blame for the lack of sales.

I'm not whining about being layed off; that is a fact of business/economic cycles. It sucks, but I went through it several yrs ago also. It's just that like several posters mentioned: the jobs seem plentiful here in the Triangle, but the wages don't really seem to compete that well with other areas.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
The article is from a paper in San Francisco. Anything coming out of loonyville out there does not qualify for accurate information.
If you don't like the SF Chronicle, maybe you'd trust one of these other sources:

Majority of corporations avoid federal income taxes - study - Aug. 12, 2008
2 out of 3 companies avoided U.S. tax -- chicagotribune.com
Most Companies Pay No Federal Income Tax, GAO Study Also Finds 68% Of Foreign Companies In U.S. Avoid Corporate Taxes - CBS News
ABC News: Most Corporations Pay No Income Tax
U.S. GAO - Summary

Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM

286 posts, read 994,110 times
Most people would have told you that the wages here arent amazing. There may be a lot of jobs but most people would agree with you that you could find a lot higher wages elsewhere.

I came from Michigan where jobs are difficult to come by. However, I did make more money back in Michigan than I do here. Thats ok though. I'm happy here.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM

90 posts, read 237,072 times
I am with Sunnykayak. You can't tax the heck out of a company and expect them to meet unrealistic regulatory requirements, while at the same time paying their employees high wages, provide a retirement plan and cover medical expenses. The math does not add up. Sure there needs to be some regulation, but the tax breaks given to local businesses is what draws them here. It is the reason we have jobs. It is the reason why people like me move here, because there are actually decent jobs to be had. The wages may be lower in some jobs (not all because we are doing better), but then the costs to live here are cheaper than many places. It really comes down to your particular situation. The market is far better here than where we were, so we are more than happy.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sorry you was laid off but you was in a industry that will probably become extinct in this state. It should have not been a shocker it been going on since the mid 1990's of last century.
That was the time for people in your work to work out a plan B.

Be thankful you was getting paid. Americans can be so greedy when it come to working for a company they want high salary , great health care and pay for portion of their retirement. Yet they require the company to meet tough costly enviromental
restrictions, pay hefty buisness taxes. The incentives for companies to make a profit more making items overseas are better than here.
It depends on where you work. In my company, we are not doing as well as in past years - we are in a soft market - but still turning a profit mind you. So we got our bonuses cut, but guess what? The CEO and CFO still got their $1m and $1.5m bonus as in prior years and stock grants and options up the "you know what". I work in a division of the company that sees what is being spent on what. There is plenty of waste still in my company that can be cut out. Don't feel so bad for all those poor suffering companies. If you look at what the executives are being paid - many times you will find there are no cuts there.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,582 times
Not me, I'd be happy making $7.00 vs the $22.00 an hour I'm used to. It would only pay the rent and put a little bit of food onthe table, but any thng would be better than not having any $ coming in, which is my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sorry you was laid off but you was in a industry that will probably become extinct in this state. It should have not been a shocker it been going on since the mid 1990's of last century.
That was the time for people in your work to work out a plan B.

Be thankful you was getting paid. Americans can be so greedy when it come to working for a company they want high salary , great health care and pay for portion of their retirement. Yet they require the company to meet tough costly enviromental
restrictions, pay hefty buisness taxes. The incentives for companies to make a profit more making items overseas are better than here.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 20,699 times
My b/f and I are contemplating moving to Raleigh in a month or two... Here in Michigan it is hard to get any kind of job! NC seems to pay more in most fields than they would here in MI. I am an Admin.Assistant and only make minimum wage here in MI... In NC it is at least 10/ hr. if not more(depending on experience & education)! My b/f is in Computer Networking and works for the public school in our area and makes $8/hr. and works 35 hrs. a week.... That isn't really enough to pay the bills... It makes life a little rough! He got an offer for a job 3 hrs. away from our current home and it would be great except they want him asap and our lease is up in a month and a half...(The complex refuses to let us break the lease and there is no guarantee I will get a job there)
I have applied in Raleigh for several jobs and have gotten many calls back... I put my resume in at 35-40 different businesses here (doing the same thing I am currently doing) and have gotten no calls back or been told, and I quote "You are over qualified"..... What the heck does that nonsense mean?!?!?! I am guessing that means they are CHEAP! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary