Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 AM

249 posts, read 689,436 times

Advertisements

We are moving in less than two weeks. How clean should we leave our house? My wife just plans on vacuuming each room and wiping down bathrooms. Do you think this is enough? I kind of think we should hire a cleaning service because I am going to have no desire to clean after having spent all morning moving. Oh and we also have 3 cats and 2 dogs.

Oh and if you have any recommendations for a cheap cleaning service, please let me know.

Thanks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,998,671 times
I always recommend a cleaning service, simply because by the time you have everything out the last thing you really want to is clean. I have always done it when I moved houses and usually spent 200 bucks. Ask your realtor, they may have someone they use regularly. I have used the person who cleans my house regularly to do the move out clean.

Most of the move out cleans will wipe down all cabinets, clean the drawers, clean all of the appliances, wipe everything down, dust everything, etc.

I always think that when I move into a house I don't want to have to clean before I put my things away.

Leigh

Old 08-17-2008, 12:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,114,244 times
is it normal to have the house cleaned for a new owner? my wife and i are closing on our first place in less than 2 weeks, so we were wondering this just the other day.

Mike

Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,183,157 times
I know that even if the previous owners left the place spotless, I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I cleaned it myself before moving in.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 PM

528 posts, read 1,457,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
is it normal to have the house cleaned for a new owner? my wife and i are closing on our first place in less than 2 weeks, so we were wondering this just the other day.

Mike
I absolutely think it's normal to have the house cleaned for a new owner -- it just depends on whether you want to do it yourself or not.

In fact, the house that we first moved into as a married couple was not very clean at all. Our realtor was so aggravated (as were we) by this that she called the selling real estate agent and they both came over and helped us clean the house. There our real estate agent was pulling shelves out of the refrigerator and scrubbing them and the entire inside of our refrigerator! Now that's a good agent!

It's not mandatory, but it certainly is common courtesy.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 PM

528 posts, read 1,457,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
We are moving in less than two weeks. How clean should we leave our house? My wife just plans on vacuuming each room and wiping down bathrooms. Do you think this is enough? I kind of think we should hire a cleaning service because I am going to have no desire to clean after having spent all morning moving. Oh and we also have 3 cats and 2 dogs.

Oh and if you have any recommendations for a cheap cleaning service, please let me know.

Thanks/
I would leave it as clean as you'd like your next house to be when you walk in. Doing so (and helping ensure it remains normal procedure) ensures that when it's your turn to occupy a new home it will more than likely be clean for you.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:52 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,901 times
When we sold our house in RI in April, our realtor paid for a professional cleaner. They came in the day before closing. It was great for us as well as for the person buying our home. quid pro quo - the person we bought our current house from also had a professional cleaning crew before closing and from a moving in perspective - it was fantiastic! How great is was to be able to just move our things and not have to worry about cleaning cupboards, closets etc. I'd say spring for the cleaning crew!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,770,083 times
I closed a few weeks ago, and my seller followed the letter of the contract: broom swept. Ultimately, I spent days in here cleaning from top to bottom in every room, excavating a laundry room left laden in dog hair and slobber. It was gross. While I didn't expect things to be immaculate, and would still have given everything a once over, even if it was, I was so disgusted to have to clean SO MUCH of someone else's stuff. I've never left any place I've lived, even college apartments, anything less than move-in ready for the next person.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
I closed a few weeks ago, and my seller followed the letter of the contract: broom swept. Ultimately, I spent days in here cleaning from top to bottom in every room, excavating a laundry room left laden in dog hair and slobber. It was gross. While I didn't expect things to be immaculate, and would still have given everything a once over, even if it was, I was so disgusted to have to clean SO MUCH of someone else's stuff. I've never left any place I've lived, even college apartments, anything less than move-in ready for the next person.
Your experience (especially the laundry room) sounds similar to the second home we purchased. I think the person only swept the middle of the floors in each room and that was it!! The frustrating thing is that was the most expensive house we've ever purchased and the only time we paid the full price. Yet the seller was a cheap-o and creep-o when it came to cleaning!! BTW, the other homes that we have purchased were in a much lower price category and they were VERY CLEAN!

BTW, if here it's only $200 bucks for a move out clean, it's well worth not worrying about it. Plus it'll get you some karmic points.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 PM

33 posts, read 97,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I know that even if the previous owners left the place spotless, I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I cleaned it myself before moving in.
This is how I feel too. Regardless, I would leave the house spotless, whether you clean it or get a cleaning service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary