Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM

48 posts, read 298,135 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have reviewed the few posts that exists about Scott Lee Homes, but I am wondering if anyone has had a positive or negative experience DURING the building process with them. We may purchase one that only has the foundation started so far.
We live in another state and may only have one opportunity to view the house in the process before moving down and it's completion. We have seen the subdivision so we know we at least like that and of course we have also seen the house plan and finished product on another lot.
I would have preferred to purchase an already built home, but this is not an option for the floor plan that is best for us.
How does financing work in a situation such as this? We could not (and would not) officially close on the house until it is completed, right?
Are we just asking for trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,402 times
Be careful when building a home while you are living in another state. I don't have personal experience with this builder, but in general, when you build a home it would be wise to be checking on it periodically. I have been in many situations where contracts are writtten (make sure you put everything you can think of in the contract on what you want.. including model numbers or photos etc) so there isn't any question. Even with this much information, the builders usually get something wrong. Sometimes they have to change things because of code, county restrictions or because product is not available anymore, etc. There are steps in the process you need to know about, such as where you want the lighting fixtures/switches or if there is a particular way you want something constructed (maybe where to put the water heater, or what type of piping you favor). If you don't know or a novice at this, then I think you may be disappointed in the end product. It is very hard for a Realtor also to be put in a position of checking on things for you as well, as you might see it differently than they do. I highly suggest being local if you build.

As far as financing. Usually you contract to build the home with the "finished" product price. Depending on builder, sometimes they require a non-refundable deposit and perhaps more down during certain stages of the building process. Any changes to the plan requires a "change order" request and you may have to pay for the changes at that time.. just depends on the builder. And yes, you can't officially close until they get a C.O. (certificate of occupancy).

Just make sure you do your homework if you go this route. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:18 PM

48 posts, read 298,135 times
Thanks Janecj,
We have decided to purchase an inventory home instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary