Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a screened-in porch?
Yes 79 50.32%
No 18 11.46%
No, but I wish I did! 58 36.94%
Ba Humbug! I'm a hermit, who cares? 2 1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM

149 posts, read 284,020 times

Advertisements

Oh it's so on my list of wishes, I'm sorely tempted to screen in my carport in the interim to keep the biters at bay, will get around soon to getting quotes on that

Here's another more modern looking one
Modern Screen: A porch makes contemporary connections.

I'm currently convincing DH a fireplace is a good investment when we plunge into the whole SIP addition, glad to hear others think it's a worthwhile one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Do they need to make the deck structure any stouter due to your plan to add the walls and roof later? My wife wants a screened in porch but I am balking at the price. I could build a deck myself, but I'm not sure I know how to build a deck that would someday also support the weight of a SIP.
I had the builder use 6x6 posts as opposed to 4x4 and they are set in concrete, so no problem. Even with an exisiting deck under-supported for a screened porch, it usually isnt a big deal to add more support (provided you have a little clearance underneath).
I saw a later post about having it set/bolted to an existing concrete pad; that should be fine. The city inspector will have the final say though.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Ooh, NRG, that porch is so amazing. Looks like the whole house is amazing. I would just live on the porch!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:26 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Ok, this might not be popular, but screened porches are over rated in my opinion. Why not just get out on the deck? Enjoy the sun and light? Screened porches are like being outside.....but not really being outside. Like camping in a high end RV and calling it "camping" when it is staying in your condo on wheels. I too enjoy reading the morning paper and seeing the sun rise....on my large deck. So I have to swat away the randon fly or bug, but I don't have a big wood roof over my head and feel like I'm in a caged cell with all the bugs laughing at me.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I have 2 front porches, a deck and the screened porch in back. The screened one gets 90% of the use. It has shade, ceiling fan, furniture that doesn't get exposed to the elements 24/7 to the degree a deck does, and, perhaps most important, no mosquitoes.

I don't think you are from here, correct? The notice of swatting away a random bug doesn't work with mosquitoes most years. There are everywhere and by the time you feel them, it is too late.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Ok, this might not be popular, but screened porches are over rated in my opinion. Why not just get out on the deck? Enjoy the sun and light? Screened porches are like being outside.....but not really being outside. Like camping in a high end RV and calling it "camping" when it is staying in your condo on wheels. I too enjoy reading the morning paper and seeing the sun rise....on my large deck. So I have to swat away the randon fly or bug, but I don't have a big wood roof over my head and feel like I'm in a caged cell with all the bugs laughing at me.
Radom fly or bug?

That's like saying there is only "a little sand" at the beach!

I'm guessing you don't spend evenings out on your deck too often. If you do but don't have issues with bugs, your's is a rare situation.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Oh I'd like an open front porch as well as the screened porch in back. I worship all porches.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:01 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I have 2 front porches, a deck and the screened porch in back. The screened one gets 90% of the use. It has shade, ceiling fan, furniture that doesn't get exposed to the elements 24/7 to the degree a deck does, and, perhaps most important, no mosquitoes.

I don't think you are from here, correct? The notice of swatting away a random bug doesn't work with mosquitoes most years. There are everywhere and by the time you feel them, it is too late.
I was being somewhat humorous in my original post. However, seriously, I do enjoy literally being outside. Perhaps it is just me. On the flip side, I will admit, you would get no arguement from me if you came by and wanted to build me a screened porch like the one shown in the photo here.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:01 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,355 times
We had a screen porch at our last house and loved it, so when we started looking for a new house this past spring a screened in porch was a must have. Also the cats and dog made it pretty clear that having a screen porch was non-negotiable!

We spend a good deal of time out there, especially when the weather is nice, I'll take my laptop out there and do work while watching the dog play and listening to the birds and the sounds of the outdoors. We have a ceiling fan on ours too, so that really helps during the warmer months.

Our old screen porch:

And the new one:

Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
The city inspector will have the final say though.
No city inspector as I live in unincorporated Wake county. Is there a county inspector for that sort of thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary