Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a screened-in porch?
Yes 79 50.32%
No 18 11.46%
No, but I wish I did! 58 36.94%
Ba Humbug! I'm a hermit, who cares? 2 1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times

Advertisements

Alright, you all win. So how much is it to build one? Say a 12ft by 15 ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Alright, you all win. So how much is it to build one? Say a 12ft by 15 ft?
we just had that size ( well 15 x 13.5) built for $12k
Picasa Web Albums - Karen P. - Porch

Great job

Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
we just had that size ( well 15 x 13.5) built for $12k
Picasa Web Albums - Karen P. - Porch

Great job
Very nice! From the photos, $12k seems like a real bargain to me. Did they do the deck next to it? That is also very nice.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Very nice! From the photos, $12k seems like a real bargain to me. Did they do the deck next to it? That is also very nice.
No the deck was existing, they just built the porch on top. They had done a porch for some friends of ours and we were so impressed with the workmanship and quality we decided to take the plunge ourselves.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Do screened in porches and cats get along? Ours has destroyed many a screen door.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Do screened in porches and cats get along? Ours has destroyed many a screen door.
Our cat has never gone after the screen. The screen is on the outside of the porch, so the cat would have to reach through the slats in the rail to get to it. The door on the porch is not screened; it is actually glass. And last, but not least, we have a dog door and the cat uses that too, so she has no need to climb the screen to get our attention and get in/out.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:45 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
This was our biggest concern when we moved into our home - what about that cat??!! Should we let him on the porch or not? Our cat was an indoor/outdoor cat prior to our move and now he is totally indoors since we're in a townhome community. He loves the porch and has not made a single mark on the screens in the 3 months we've been here. I'm sure all cats are different though. Our cat lies on the railing for long periods watching birds (and probably thinking about ways to escape to get at the birds and rabbits!).

Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 28,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
We're getting a screened porch built in the fall or spring. We are using a guy who has done some great work on our house already. He's charging us $6500 for a 12 x 24 foot porch, I think that's a fair price? I can't wait - I hate the little bugs that hover around my eyes every time i'm outside.
You had your porch built by now (this Spring?) - you had a great price and the dimensions are similar to what we are considering. How did it go?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
the poor folk here only have a patio...LOL just joking, but I do have a patio and rarely use it because of the bugs...early am is nice when the sun is not beating down on it...at night even without the outdoor lights on, the bugs are overwhelming...It would be nice to enclose the patio or put on a 4-Seasons Sunroom, but that takes $$$, maybe something down the line...I need an entire backyard makeover...the builder only hydro-seeded my backyard...so it needs help...but again that takes $$$, enlight of the economy, I am holding off spending any money right now on the backyard...maybe spring will bring something...or maybe I will win HGTV's backyard makeover next year

Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times
Quote:
Ok, this might not be popular, but screened porches are over rated in my opinion. Why not just get out on the deck? Enjoy the sun and light? Screened porches are like being outside.....but not really being outside. Like camping in a high end RV and calling it "camping" when it is staying in your condo on wheels. I too enjoy reading the morning paper and seeing the sun rise....on my large deck. So I have to swat away the randon fly or bug, but I don't have a big wood roof over my head and feel like I'm in a caged cell with all the bugs laughing at me.
Yep, we are wierd ones too. If I want to go outside, I don't want to be "kinda" outside, I want to be all outside! We built a large deck & love it. I guess that is my CA roots..I like REAL outdoor space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary