Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,694 times

Advertisements

We're from FL and moved here in Clayton last Fall, we found that the seafoods, especially NC shrimps, do taste differently from FL seafoods. I'm not sure why. We bought some large NC shrimps to make shrimp scampi and it didn't taste good as we made those in FL. Recipe is still the same. Does anyone notice any taste difference, comparing from where you live and here in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM

134 posts, read 549,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
We're from FL and moved here in Clayton last Fall, we found that the seafoods, especially NC shrimps, do taste differently from FL seafoods. I'm not sure why. We bought some large NC shrimps to make shrimp scampi and it didn't taste good as we made those in FL. Recipe is still the same. Does anyone notice any taste difference, comparing from where you live and here in NC?
I noticed that they are a little more bland. For me, I just add more GARLIC! You can NEVER have enough garlic!!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Default Resturant Food vs REAL NC Seafood!

I grew up on the coast of NC (live in Portland now). But growing up we ate some type of NC seafood at least twice a week. Yes, most restuarants will fry seafood there. However, to many, many coastal families that I know, frying is just one of the many ways to cook seafood. Calabash style may be what sells, but the cook doesn't go home and eat fried seafood if they are true "high tiders".

Packer Fan, you boil blue crabs in old bay seasoning and a bit of beer. Put a hole in the underside of the crab before you boil and lots of the goop runs out... make's "pickin" easier. You also boil shrimp in old bay and beer. And yes, lots of melted butter is required at the end.

Oysters.... are roasted over pine straw and eatten with a ketchup and horseradish and vingar mix.

Clams are baked.... add a bacon and chopped onion mixture at the end to the open shells.

Flounder: stuff with onions, bacon, chopped bell peper, seasoning & LOTS of butter and bake. You can add chopped clams too. Yum!

Oh, you will find things like Oyster Stew ... but I never liked Oystes stewed so I can't tell you what is in it other than potatoes and onions.

Find yourself a local fish house (closer to the water the better) on the coast and ask the person behind the counter for receipe ideas. You'll know the one to ask... they'll have a thick "high tider" accent and their skin will be leathery brown from working the water all their lives.

Gees! I'm hungry now. Got to go.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:30 AM

189 posts, read 753,600 times
What is "Calabash style"?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:45 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,471 times
Michael's Seafood in Wilmington (Carolina Beach) is a non-fried seafood restaurant. Great food. Not walking distance though

Old 02-02-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
Try:
http://www.tripsmarter.com/myrtlebea...s/calabash.htm

and

http://www.myrtlebeachexperience.com/id6.htm (broken link)

and

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A965948260

Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I grew up on the coast of NC (live in Portland now). But growing up we ate some type of NC seafood at least twice a week. Yes, most restuarants will fry seafood there. However, to many, many coastal families that I know, frying is just one of the many ways to cook seafood. Calabash style may be what sells, but the cook doesn't go home and eat fried seafood if they are true "high tiders".

Packer Fan, you boil blue crabs in old bay seasoning and a bit of beer. Put a hole in the underside of the crab before you boil and lots of the goop runs out... make's "pickin" easier. You also boil shrimp in old bay and beer. And yes, lots of melted butter is required at the end.

Oysters.... are roasted over pine straw and eatten with a ketchup and horseradish and vingar mix.

Clams are baked.... add a bacon and chopped onion mixture at the end to the open shells.

Flounder: stuff with onions, bacon, chopped bell peper, seasoning & LOTS of butter and bake. You can add chopped clams too. Yum!

Oh, you will find things like Oyster Stew ... but I never liked Oystes stewed so I can't tell you what is in it other than potatoes and onions.

Find yourself a local fish house (closer to the water the better) on the coast and ask the person behind the counter for receipe ideas. You'll know the one to ask... they'll have a thick "high tider" accent and their skin will be leathery brown from working the water all their lives.

Gees! I'm hungry now. Got to go.
Hmmm Old Bay and beer. Nice combo. I may have to try a Midwestern hook to the flounder stuffing.... beer boiled brats cut up and stuffed into the flounder...

Thansk for the tip on the blue crab. Wouldnt want that "goop" to be a part of the meal.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 AM

189 posts, read 753,600 times
For the person who wanted the cioppino recipe, here it is. It can be found at http://www.allrecipes.com. When the recipe refers to crab legs, what it means is Dungeness crab. Dungeness crab comes into season around Christmas in the San Francisco Bay Area. However, you can substitute another type of crab. It just won't be the same, though.

Best enjoyed with crusty, San Francisco Sourdough bread, caesar salad and a great bottle of wine.

Bodega Bay Cioppino

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 pound scallops
24 littleneck clams
1 1/2 pounds crab legs
1 pound unpeeled, large fresh shrimp

DIRECTIONS
Heat olive oil in a very large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft, stirring frequently. Pour in tomatoes and white wine, then season with parsley, basil, salt, pepper and the bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until liquid is reduced almost completely, about 1 hour.

Add clams, scallops, clams, crab legs and shrimp to the pot. Cover, and cook over medium heat until clams open. Scoop portions into large bowls to serve.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:17 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
Basically, it's very deep-fried...to the extent that the added fat and grease cancels out any health benefits that the fish ever had.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,802 times
Default Fried Whole Belly Clams

I have searched all over. Can anyone tell me if they have found any restuarants with whole fried clams in NC and where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary