Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Calm down folks. If you don't agree with me, fine. I am not looking for you to agree or disagree but one is allowed to state their own opinion here.
I'm calm. I'm in Raleigh and I'm Relaxed.

Seriously, good luck with the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 PM

184 posts, read 801,860 times
BigHouse said:

Calm down folks. If you don't agree with me, fine. I am not looking for you to agree or disagree.[/quote]

I'm plenty calm, just trying to get some details/clarification on the very broad and general comments you have been consistently making on this board for over a year about bad traffic and hectic lifestyles in the Raleigh area.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Actually it's almost hysterical how nice people can be in jobs where the employees are typically considered rude such as fast food restaurants. We went to Chick-fil-A one day for lunch in Raleigh and the girl taking our order was so pleasant that I know my husband and I must have looked at her like she was an alien. Hubby said to me, "they must pay the people at this Chick-fil-A double what they pay at McDonalds or Burger King".
I went to a glass and mirror business yesterday to buy replacement gaskets for my shower enclosure. The receptionist took me to the office of one of the senior employees, who took me out onto the shop floor to speak to two of the installers. They gave me 50 feet of gasket material and sent me on my way free of charge. They said "Remember us when you need a new shower enclosure." I couldn't believe it.

I never used to be "chatty" with employees and customers in stores, restaurants, etc, but around here it seems to be more prevalent. I'm enjoying it and find that it makes errands more tolerable.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME43 View Post
BigHouse said:

Calm down folks. If you don't agree with me, fine. I am not looking for you to agree or disagree.
I'm plenty calm, just trying to get some details/clarification on the very broad and general comments you have been consistently making on this board for over a year about bad traffic and hectic lifestyles in the Raleigh area.[/quote]

Why were you asking me about CT then and not my impressions of Raleigh? If you want to know what I think is hectic here, just DM me. If you want to find out where the traffic is bad where I drive, just DM me.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
It is definitely slower here than NYC.

In the 70's - 80's, I worked at Exxon-Mobil corporate HQ on 42nd St NYC. Usually I'd walk from our middle income project on the lower East side but might take a train once in a while. We chose the project because it was walking distance instead of opting for the lovely suburban life with its 2 hour commutes on the railroad and subway or bus.

The subway #7 train left from our office building's basement and folks would rush down the stairs like lemmings heading for the sea. By the way, the train ran on 90 second intervals at those times.

I can't stand the stress of commuting so got my jobs in North Raleigh, turning down quite a few interviews because the work location was RTP.

You can live a much lower stress life here than NYC, but you need to adjust your expectations if that's your goal.

Why be the richest person in the cemetery? Your relatives won't appreciate what you leave them anyway.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It is definitely slower here than NYC.

In the 70's - 80's, I worked at Exxon-Mobil corporate HQ on 42nd St NYC. Usually I'd walk from our middle income project on the lower East side but might take a train once in a while. We chose the project because it was walking distance instead of opting for the lovely suburban life with its 2 hour commutes on the railroad and subway or bus.

The subway #7 train left from our office building's basement and folks would rush down the stairs like lemmings heading for the sea. By the way, the train ran on 90 second intervals at those times.

I can't stand the stress of commuting so got my jobs in North Raleigh, turning down quite a few interviews because the work location was RTP.

You can live a much lower stress life here than NYC, but you need to adjust your expectations if that's your goal.

Why be the richest person in the cemetery? Your relatives won't appreciate what you leave them anyway.
I absolutely agree with your point of view. I guess after a while some people (not all of course) figure out that living and enjoying a quality life is much better than living a life measured on quantity; whether being money, a big house, more jewelry, more stuff! and stuff! and more stuff! At some point some people that have spent years taking long commutes, working long hours, for a very good salary come to the conclusion that it isn't worth it anymore. For others, that is what keeps them going.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
I have a story to tell that just confirms how much better the people are here in NC. We are from the SF Bay Area and we have been here about 2 months. I started my new job this week which is in Durham. Tonight I drove home and as soon as I got off the freeway, my tire blew out so I pulled over and called AAA to come out and change my tire. As I was sitting there, a car pulls over and stops in front of me. I immediately called my husband and told him and asked what I should do. Now remember, I am from California and there...well most of the time people didnt stop to help, they stopped for other reasons, none were good. So now I am panicking when this lady gets out of the car and walks back to see if she could help me in any way. She said she saw me sitting there so she turned around to come help. I thanked her and told her the tow truck was coming. Feeling stupid now...I sat there reading my book when about 20 minutes later another car pulls over. Again, a lady gets out and comes back to see if I am okay. I thanked her and told her the tow truck was coming. I told the tow truck driver about this as he was changing my tire and he stopped, looked at me and said (in his great southern accent) "Maam, that is our southern hospitality". I LOVE IT!

This is just the icing on the cake. Since we have been here, people everywhere say hi, chat about anything and everything and we feel so good about moving here.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Great to hear how well you were treated.

Just took my car back to Foster's Auto Body for a minor adjustment on a new bumper cover.

Thanked the tech for doing it at once and he responded "That's why we're here". I've been here 20 years and still loving it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Just took my car back to Foster's Auto Body for a minor adjustment on a new bumper cover.

Thanked the tech for doing it at once and he responded "That's why we're here". I've been here 20 years and still loving it.
Yup, I just had some weird battery stuff going on with my car, took it to my regular mechanic who knows me by voice on the phone, and after working on it for three days (and taking me to work for free) looking for a power drain, they gave me a new battery--free of charge! Wouldn't let me pay them at all. The mechanics at this shop would probably be dismissed as "rednecks" by a lot of Northerners, but I'd prefer working with them than anyone else, and will keep going back there as long as this staff is there.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM

132 posts, read 445,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
I have a story to tell that just confirms how much better the people are here in NC. We are from the SF Bay Area and we have been here about 2 months. I started my new job this week which is in Durham. Tonight I drove home and as soon as I got off the freeway, my tire blew out so I pulled over and called AAA to come out and change my tire. As I was sitting there, a car pulls over and stops in front of me. I immediately called my husband and told him and asked what I should do. Now remember, I am from California and there...well most of the time people didnt stop to help, they stopped for other reasons, none were good. So now I am panicking when this lady gets out of the car and walks back to see if she could help me in any way. She said she saw me sitting there so she turned around to come help. I thanked her and told her the tow truck was coming. Feeling stupid now...I sat there reading my book when about 20 minutes later another car pulls over. Again, a lady gets out and comes back to see if I am okay. I thanked her and told her the tow truck was coming. I told the tow truck driver about this as he was changing my tire and he stopped, looked at me and said (in his great southern accent) "Maam, that is our southern hospitality". I LOVE IT!

This is just the icing on the cake. Since we have been here, people everywhere say hi, chat about anything and everything and we feel so good about moving here.
In a nutshell this little episode epitomises our impressions of the folks here. It is evident wherever we go. We are loving our little piece of heaven (relative to SF bay area for sure) here and trying to return back the favor as much as we can.

Funny part is there is still a tremendous misconception about the South among some of my friends back in CA - contributing my 2 cents to enlighten them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary