Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 PM

56 posts, read 333,512 times

Advertisements

Today we got the word that we get to escape Memphis!!!!!!!!!! Have been reading this forum for a hopeful week or two and think Bedford or Cary Park will most likely be our destination. We are young-olds, but did the 55+ thing in PA. from 2002 to 2006. Not for us too many rules and sets of eyes watching your every move. Thinking the bungalows will suit our needs indoor and outdoor spacewise. Now the questions, is there a mix of ages in these units? Also dog rules, we have 3 small ones. Will this be a problem at Bedford, Falls River or Cary Park? We have been thinking we should rent for a few months before buying. Are there apartments in North Raleigh or Cary that do month to month leases and allow 3 small dogs? Or, to the realtors would it be a better idea to buy sooner rather than later to gain a financial advantage on existing stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
If you decide to rent, you'll probably not have much trouble finding an apartment that will allow you to have 3 small dogs. The problem is that they will make you pay through the nose for the privilege. Ask a lot of questions about fees. We noticed that some apartments charged non-refundable pet deposits (sometimes the fee applied to each dog, and sometimes to all dogs), an extra monthy fee for pets (again. . . sometimes for each pet, and sometimes for all pets), cleaning fees, etc.

We have 2 shetland sheepdogs and we were able to find a place that charged one non-refundable fee, no monthly charges, and no cleaning fees.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
I was able to rent with two dogs but it wasn't easy to find. And as NewUser said, most places will charge lots of fees, *per dog* so at the end it will end up being a lot of money. For three dogs it could be even more challenging. Perhaps you could keep them with friends until you move to the house?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 AM

56 posts, read 333,512 times
thanks for your responses. Beginning to think maybe we should just take the plunge and buy instead of spending thousands on fees. That happened to us with just 2 dogs when we first moved here 10 months ago. Foolishly, perhaps, we think these little guys are KIDS not dogs.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Thousands? . . .Not if you spend some time looking around for a good deal. I think that our apartment only charged a few hundred bucks total as a non-refundable pet fee at move-in. We don't have any monthly fees and there is no move-out fee. We live in a very nice complex in Morrisville, within spittin' distance of Cary.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,358 times
I had an apt in cary with 3 dogs (2 60 lbers and a small one). There was a one time pet fee I think of $200 and an extra $100 deposit required ($150.00 total). They charged $10 additional each month per pet which was not bad. They also had a dog run right in the complex (It was Harrison Grande). Avalon Peaks in Apex also has a dog run and no breed restrictions. I don't think you'd have a problem with 3 small ones at either of those places. I think it's a good idea to rent when you first get here just to get familiar with areas you really like and don't like before comitting to a house. There are so many options in so many towns here.

If you buy a home, make sure you read the covenants as some might impose a dog limit of 2 or 3. I was shopping for a house recently and the HOA by-laws stated that the HOA has the right to remove your pets if they have cause. umm... no thank you. Just the principal of that freaks me out. Also, the town of Cary imposes has a 3 dog limit per household. So if you think might get another dog in the future, you will not be allowed to do so in Cary.

Hope that helps!
Christine

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
Also, the town of Cary imposes has a 3 dog limit per household. So if you think might get another dog in the future, you will not be allowed to do so in Cary.
The limit is actually 2 dogs per household.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:21 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,358 times
Did they change it? I thought it was 3 when I lived there a couple of years ago.

Nope.. it was 2, I guess I was wrong. oops... lol

Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,396 times
we paid $250 non refundable fee. Plus we have to get the carpets clean before we move, but that may also be b/c our lease is 9 months, not a year.
Dumb rule...my kids have messed up the carpet with the red clay more than the dog!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Please pick up after your "kids", especially if you're going to live in an apt. complex and definitely if you plan to explore the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary