Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,824 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Raleigh from Colorado soon and I would really appreciate any suggestions on neighborhoods or areas to stay away from. I've done some research and looked at crime maps but I'm still not very clear on what areas are worse than others. I'm looking for something with low crime and a good school district for my child in elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO719 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Raleigh from Colorado soon and I would really appreciate any suggestions on neighborhoods or areas to stay away from. I've done some research and looked at crime maps but I'm still not very clear on what areas are worse than others. I'm looking for something with low crime and a good school district for my child in elementary school.

Well, anywhere in America that you look at will not have the "perfect" city/town of zero crime. Maybe zero-ing in more on neighborhoods/sections would be more ideal.

IMHO, I would consider Clayton, Apex or maybe even Wake Forest. I can only speak for Clayton, since I live there, but the crime is extremely low, the schools are fantastic and the cost of living is alot cheaper.

Honestly, I think anywhere you move to in the Triangle area would be okay. I think the only section that constantly gets brought up is South Raleigh as far as high crime is concerned.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 AM

23 posts, read 60,973 times
Ferrickhead, how quick is the drive from Clayton to Raleigh proper? Is it a minimum half hour?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 PM

43,015 posts, read 76,510,473 times
Quote:
Apex
Cary
Holly Springs
Morrisville

Raleigh

Chapel Hill

Clayton

Fuquay Varina

Wake Forest.

There are many more good areas than bad area, to be honest with you. I'm probably most partial to the first four towns.

It is a matter of making good choices of amenities and location for other aspects of living, I think.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,132,492 times
Quote:
I must say that if you have never been to this area, it is quite difficult to get a "feel" for what is available.

I usually tell folks relocating to figure out where they will be working and how long of a commute are they willing to tolerate.

Then, it is all about your price point.

From that point, it is relatively simple to figure out where you want to be.

For example...if you are going to spend $500,000, my opinion is to spend it in North Raleigh or Wake Forest or Cary.

If you are going to spend $160,000, Holly Springs is a good starting point.

It really depends so much on you and what you want.

Believe me...it all becomes very clear very quickly once you are here to see the area.

Vicki

Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 PM

98 posts, read 510,725 times
I think the crime rate is typically overrated. I live alone in downtown Raleigh, and although it is near the prison (and some locals have told me it was ghetto), it is FAR from "ghetto".

North Raleigh is very nice, but the only area I can think of is South Raleigh, (south of the beltline) that has a bad rep.

Its a little weird, and usually depends on neighborhoods around here. Sometimes it goes from good to bad in less than a street!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,824 times
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm checking all of them out. Just having so many people offer advice is really starting to put me at ease. Sounds like the area has a lot of great people as well as great areas. Living in Colorado my whole life I was a little worried, but now I'm actually getting excited! Thanks again everyone! Have a great holiday weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary