Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 55,116 times

Advertisements

I am about to close on a house relatively soon. When the realtor showed me the house, I found a black widow in the garage. I don't know whether I should be concerned that there are more in the house. I have a baby and I am nervous about him being bitten. How common are black widows in Raleigh and how often are they found in a garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 PM

159 posts, read 608,799 times
Black widows are common in NC, although I have to admit, I only remember seeing one upclose last year, and that's after 40+ years of NC living already under belt.

Of all the things to worry about, I would put this particular concern low on my list. Black widows like dark, out of the way places. Keep your baby out of the crawlspace and the dark recesses of the garage and you'll be fine.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
Black Widows almost never enter the house. Garage and crawlspace almost exclusively. I see them in almost every crawlspace I go in (20 or so a week). No worries

Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 55,116 times
Thanks so much for the reassurance. I couldn't help but worry myself over all the frightening stories online of people finding multiple black widows in their homes. I'm so glad to know that black widows rarely enter the home!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,076 times
We see one or two a summer but never in the house. They live in our stone walls and under the basketball hoop. Dark, quiet places...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
I see a lot of larger brown spiders. I don't know what they are, but they sure are quick.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
We see one or two a summer but never in the house. They live in our stone walls and under the basketball hoop. Dark, quiet places...
So what you're saying is that you never use the basketball hoop?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Don't be nervous about your baby. Black widows are timid, they're not agressive and they rarely ever come inside. If you find one in your gagrage, that's likely the only place you'll see it. I'm a native and have only ever seen a few my whole life here. Neither I or my children have ever been bitten by one and I don't think my children have ever even seen one. I do make them aware however when goin under the deck, playing in our natural areas etc. They know where black widows could be and it's just a matternof educating your children where not to play. Sticking your hand under a wood pile in a remote corner of a back yard in NC is not a wise thing to do.
If it makes you feel better, have a professional come and spray your garage and around the house. When working outside, wear gloves at all times. You may disturb one in it's nest and that is when it is most likely to bite. It's best to wear gloves in NC when working outside anyway because there are lots of biting critters in our yards (fire ants, ticks, spiders, skeeters etc) not to mention poison ivy and a random snake. It just makes sense to protect yourself. I don't work in the yard without: heavy gardening gloves, long pants, proper shoes which cover my whole foot, socks and bug spray. At hat won't hurt either.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,593 times
Default worry more about those baby toys made in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza27713 View Post
Black widows are common in NC, although I have to admit, I only remember seeing one upclose last year, and that's after 40+ years of NC living already under belt.

Of all the things to worry about, I would put this particular concern low on my list. Black widows like dark, out of the way places. Keep your baby out of the crawlspace and the dark recesses of the garage and you'll be fine.
This is true, i have found them in houses only in basements, in dark places, no place where you would want your baby to be.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,468 times
Do heed the warning to wear gloves while gardening. I nearly grabbed a black widow once when I was shoving mulch, barehanded, under the azaleas! She looked at me, I looked at her, I retreated. Moral of the story: don't let your kids crawl around under shrubbery either.

Total black widows I've seen in 22 years in Durham: two. No need to freak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary