Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 AM

55 posts, read 177,778 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and I was wondering....what happens if there is a hurricane or tropical storm threatening the Triangle area? I just saw a teaser on the Weather Channel that said Hannah was scheduled on a track to hit the Carolinas by the end of the week.
Coming from FL and being through many storms....I know that everything there closes and life is at a standstill for a few days.
Do the hospitals close?
I have a doctor's appointment on Friday and I am wondering if I should be proactive and attempt to re-schedule it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
The last hurricane to come this far inland at significant strength was Hurricane Fran in 1996. Many people lost power for 3-5+ days. Hospitals don't close, even for that storm. The path I'm seeing for Hannah has it making landfall in SC sometime Friday. Generally that's just going to mean a lot of rain and some severe thunderstorms here. I'd keep your appointments unless it starts to look like it will actually make landfall on the NC coast at 3+ strength.

Last edited by J_Lurk; 09-01-2008 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,327 times
Actually Floyd did enough damage just east of Fayetteville that we were affected for weeks---initially trees down, power out for 2 or 3 days, and then the flooding....it lasted for weeks just in Sampson County, just east of Fayetteville. Schools were closed because the roads were impassable, and lots of us had to find many different routes to get ANYWHERE because of the water.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,826 times
I wasn't here for Fran, but Hannah won't be another Fran. The storm is likely to move south of the triangle area (though currently we are on the edge of the "cone of projected paths"), and it will not hit land with the strength of Fran (it looks to be a cat 1 at landfall currently).

Hannah will likely affect us, and it is possible that Friday could be rough, weather-wise. However, I don't expect major damage or anything like that. I would be much more worried about Hannah if I was in SC, right now, not NC.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times
Currently she's already a CAT 1 and as the sheer created by Gustav lessens...Hanna could strengthen further.

PS it is HANNA...although i'm sure it would make sense to add the "h" at the end. hehe.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Yes, folks, it's still too early to be flippant about it and say with any certainty that it won't take a turn to the east and come this way. Right now, its path looks similar to that of Hugo (1989) which made landfall in Charleston, SC and went over Charlotte, doing a lot of damage, but I think Hugo was a much stronger storm. Still, I recall that even Floyd was headed our way for much of the path, and took a spin to the east at a fairly "last minute"--so Hanna could also take a turn and come right toward us.

It may not be another Fran (though that's not out of the realm of possibility), but it's not going to be just a summer rainstorm, either. I am putting any plans for Friday on Saturday on hold, at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary