Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Yup, grew up here, hearing tales of Hazel, but got to experience Fran firsthand. Trees down everywhere--thankfully, the ones in my yard fell AWAY from the house. We had just moved into a new house, still had our old townhouse (empty) and in fact, the townhouse across town got power back days before the new house did; we were tempted to go camp out there.

No power for 6 days where I was. I remember the lines for ice, cooking on a kerosene stove (and grilling out) and of course, everyone remember the ubiquitous sound of chainsaws for weeks afterwards.

We got a generator after that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Another thing I vividly recall was the tranquility at night...it was so quiet. And despite living just 2 blocks from Hillsborough Street, the stargazing that week was phenomenal!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
Quote:
Another thing I vividly recall was the tranquility at night...it was so quiet
What??? Tranquil? All I remember is the sound of chain saws during the day and generators at night! We had no AC, so of course the windows were open (as well as a part of the roof and back wall) so there was no getting away from the drone of generators at night...not that sleeping was an issue, considering all the yard work during the day!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM

65 posts, read 320,803 times
Default Fran in Chapel Hill

I was going to school at Chapel Hill at the time, and we rode out the storm at a friend's house on Rosemary Street. I remember trying to get home the next day, which was almost impossible because of all of the trees down.

I also remember that the Davie Popular tree was badly damaged in that storm. Legend says that while the tree is prosperous, so will the school be prosperous. It was almost split in half, but apparently the university was able to save it.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Here's a crash course on Ms. Fran.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM

13 posts, read 31,203 times
Ahhhhh, The summer of 96. Two vacations ruined thanks to Fran and Bertha. The first one ruined a beach trip. The second forced me to ride a chain saw for a week.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
wow, I pray we don't experience conditions like that anytime soon, the last hurricane I remember was Hurricane Gloria in 1985 that came through Long Island, we were without power for 9 days, trees down, bad damage, etc. As a homeowner now, I am even more stressed out about the possibility of hurricanes here. Oh well, just keep faith and ride out any storm or potential for a storm here.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
It was very scarey! For 6 hours in the night the wind screamed at a level just shy of what it sounds like when a tornado hits, plus the sound of trees snapping, cracking and falling. No power for what seemed like a week, no available water as the power was out in Chapel Hill at the treatment plant. People shoving and pushing in the store to get what little was left on the shelves. Driving was difficult with trees down everywhere (Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill, all neighboring Triangle cities). BBQ's constantly going to quickly cook the food in the frig and freezers before it spoiled. Chainsaws buzzing and the smell of burining wood when Raleigh rain out of room to put wood chips and starting burning debris. It was a mess..... Hopefully we will be spared.....

Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
For anyone who wasn't here for Fran or anyone who wants to remember, here are some videos from WRAL of Fran and its aftermath both here and at the coast.
Hurricane Fran 10 Year Anniversary :: WRAL.com

Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
It was very scarey! For 6 hours in the night the wind screamed at a level just shy of what it sounds like when a tornado hits, plus the sound of trees snapping, cracking and falling. No power for what seemed like a week, no available water as the power was out in Chapel Hill at the treatment plant. People shoving and pushing in the store to get what little was left on the shelves. Driving was difficult with trees down everywhere (Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill, all neighboring Triangle cities). BBQ's constantly going to quickly cook the food in the frig and freezers before it spoiled. Chainsaws buzzing and the smell of burining wood when Raleigh rain out of room to put wood chips and starting burning debris. It was a mess..... Hopefully we will be spared.....
I was scared to death. The next morning my dad found a tornado path in our backyard, not far from our house. It was never "confirmed" but it sounded like a train and left a path of trees down (to the ground) about as wide as a 4 lane road. Besides that there were trees down everywhere, no power, no water. It was terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary