Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 564,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I see you didn't live here during Fran.
I just worry about the "boy who cried wolf" effect. If the media makes a big deal about every storm, and most of them just drop some rain and break a few branches on trees, people might not be able to tell the difference when one that is a real threat to the area comes our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,946,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There was no chance this one was going to do anything. People love to panic and the media loves to feed that fear. We are too far into the state for most hurricanes to do anything. If this storm was hitting FL people wouldn't have done anything because they are educated on hurricanes.
That's not true, (in my case) - I learned enough about hurricanes and I still would have bought the batteries, bottled water and some extra groceries...just because of potential power outages which happen in even small storms. But as far as really freaking out and evacuating, no way.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM

56 posts, read 185,433 times
Wasnt much of a storm here in Franklinton. Just a little wind and rain. Now it is nice and sunny. Looks like i got plenty of the hurricane stock of beer to consume and get rid of. . Dont want it to go bad...LOL

Old 09-06-2008, 04:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,497,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I see you didn't live here during Fran.
Right. I lived in FL for 18 years while we got storms worse than Fran every year.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,912,398 times
Any chance Ike could impact us? They keep saying the tracking shows it pushing south into the southern part of Florida, or even the gulf. When I look at where it is, it seems it could still bend up north?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 564,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Any chance Ike could impact us? They keep saying the tracking shows it pushing south into the southern part of Florida, or even the gulf. When I look at where it is, it seems it could still bend up north?
Depends on what you mean by "impact". Depending on it's angle, we could get some rain effects. The odds of a direct impact with us is quite low. However, we can't say for sure until it gets to land somewhere.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,963,195 times
Has anyone anyone gotten any damage from Hanna?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:33 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,130,719 times
Our neighbor across the street lost a portion of a tree. It appeared the tree had once had two trunks and part of it sheared off. It was about 8-10 inches in diameter and pretty good sized. It landed on the neighbor's car but fortunately did no damage. It did a little roof/gutter damage. He was lucky.

I'd heard it this morning and told my husband I heard a tree fall, but he thought I was hearing things. Later we realized the tree was down (because of a large bush we hadn't spotted it initially). I had a tree fall on my house years ago, so I know what it sounds like!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,912,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Our neighbor across the street lost a portion of a tree. It appeared the tree had once had two trunks and part of it sheared off. It was about 8-10 inches in diameter and pretty good sized. It landed on the neighbor's car but fortunately did no damage. It did a little roof/gutter damage. He was lucky.

I'd heard it this morning and told my husband I heard a tree fall, but he thought I was hearing things. Later we realized the tree was down (because of a large bush we hadn't spotted it initially). I had a tree fall on my house years ago, so I know what it sounds like!
I am actually concerned about this too. I have some very tall pines in my front and side yard, they were really swaying in the direction of my neighbor's house. If they came loose and fell, they would either take out his car, or damage his roof and possibly shatter a window. I'm sure my home owners coverage would love that. I like having the trees, it gives us some nice privacy and shade, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,130,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I am actually concerned about this too. I have some very tall pines in my front and side yard, they were really swaying in the direction of my neighbor's house. If they came loose and fell, they would either take out his car, or damage his roof and possibly shatter a window. I'm sure my home owners coverage would love that. I like having the trees, it gives us some nice privacy and shade, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk.
Actually, when the tree fell on my house in MN it also hit the neighbor's house and then I learned that as far as trees MN was a "no-fault" insurance state. So my insurance covered the damage on my property, and my neighbor's covered the damage on theirs. We actually had to pro-rate the tree removal for the percentage of the tree on each of our property. I'm not sure if that is also how it works in NC as I've been fortunate enough not to lose a tree here. However, I wouldn't assume that if the tree falls it will be your insurance problem....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary