Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montserrat View Post
Okay, I hope this is okay to post here....But I am wondering if anyone knows what age is okay to consider piercing a baby´s ears ?
In my Country (Spain) Doctors do it immediately after birth, at my daugher´s pedriatic center (cary) they told me the won´t do it anymore as she is 10 months ( they don´t do it after 2 months) but in another pleaces I asked after birth they told me they don´t do it before 2 months, So I am confused

Montserrat
I think that it is entirely up to the parent. As a father with two daughter's I was and still am against the idea of doing it. My first daughter had hers done at 3 years old only because I became weak for a moment and give into my wife's begging and nagging while on a Caribbean vacation, of course I had to walk away for a while because I could not stand the thought of seeing by little girl cry because of what her parents think is cute. After seeing the pain that it caused her I knew that I was right and vowed that I will NOT give in with my next daughter who is 3 years old going on 4 years (and still does not have her pierced). I think that when my daughter can make the decision that she would like her ears pierced and knowing the consequences, then and only then will it be done ..... not before .... but that is just my take on the matter. This is in my opinion a personal choice. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
Hmmm, a pediatrician who may pierce an ear every-so-often, or an 18 year old at Claire's that pierces dozens of babies a week. Tough choice. Go with the kid at Claire's. Clean them exactly like instructed, and it'll be fine. We did our 4 year old at 10 months and our 2 year old twins at 5 months. Definitely better to do it earlier, rather than later. They never touched or fiddled with them. Some people have said "why not wait until they can choose? They may not want them later on." Show me a normal 12 year old girl from a normal family that doesn't want her ears pierced.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
IMO, this really shouldn't be done until the child is 100% capable of taking care of every aspect of having pierced ears. If not a cultural custom, then who is it really for when an infants ears are pierced? Mom? The child certainly doesn't know that they are there.

Just let kids be kids and don't rush the growing up process.
What you fail to realize is that yes, the mom is 'caring' for the ear. (I use that term loosely because there really isn't much to care for.) She is the one applying the alcohol regularly. I used to do it regularly as apart of my daughter's body care. When an adult or teen gets them it is actually more challenging to care for because the activity level of an older person makes it more likely that the earring could be bothered while healing (can you say snag, ouch!). Mom is in a position to take visual notation if an infection could be brewing. Yes, the child doesn't know they're there and that's the benefit. To each his own. We could debate all day. For me personally, I'm glad mom got them pierced when I was a baby so I wouldn't have to deal with the maintenance of it it later. My little girls love their earrings since they were very little even more than me. Despite all the opposition, I highly doubt you'll find any adult female with pierced ears who says 'I really wish mom allowed me to make my own decision about it.' 'I really hate the hole and earrings.'

As for rushing the grow up process, I think that statement is better directed at mother's who dress or allow their girls to look like--I don't even want to say the word. I think ykwim. But that's a whole other topic.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 AM

45 posts, read 300,818 times
[quote=Bilirubin;5121513]Hmmm, a pediatrician who may pierce an ear every-so-often, or an 18 year old at Claire's that pierces dozens of babies a week. Tough choice. Go with the kid at Claire's. quote]

Just be aware of the 18-year-old girl who pierces your daughter's ears at the mall, it could be her first/second day at the job and never pierce an ear before in her life. You wouldn't want your daughter becomes her first experience, would you???

Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
My little old aunt did it with an ice cube, a sewing needle and a thread. I would never have done that with my kids but we all survived.

My mother did it that way! She is from Italy and that is what they did. By the way, we did our daughter's at 3 months. To the OP, forget the criticism you are getting - most other cultures pierce their babies ears, but here (to Americans) it is oh so horrible. I am glad my mother did it when I was a baby and don't remember.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
[quote=mspiggy007;6582473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Hmmm, a pediatrician who may pierce an ear every-so-often, or an 18 year old at Claire's that pierces dozens of babies a week. Tough choice. Go with the kid at Claire's. quote]

Just be aware of the 18-year-old girl who pierces your daughter's ears at the mall, it could be her first/second day at the job and never pierce an ear before in her life. You wouldn't want your daughter becomes her first experience, would you???

I could have gone anywhere and I went to Claire's because many people I know recommended them. They do so many. Just talk to the person who is going to do it and ask them how many they have done on a baby your babies age. Also, ensure everything they use if sealed and sterile. We had no problems at all.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
[quote=mspiggy007;6582473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Hmmm, a pediatrician who may pierce an ear every-so-often, or an 18 year old at Claire's that pierces dozens of babies a week. Tough choice. Go with the kid at Claire's. quote]

You can always ask, like I did. "Hey, how many babies ears have you pierced? Who's better at it, you or the other girl over there?"

And wasn't this thread dead 3 MONTHS ago?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 PM

16 posts, read 53,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
My daughter won't have her ears pierced until I feel she's old enough AND can choose to do so on her own. That's just me though. I used to feel indifferent about everyone else's kid but my opinion changed quite a bit one day when I was walking in Crabtree and heard a less than 6 month old baby screaming at the top of her lungs. She was SCREAMING in pain (there are different cries) and I looked down at the lower level to see that it was because she was having her ears pierced.

Side note, I had no clue that some pediatricians did this. I guess if it was going to be done, this would presumably be the best place.

I agree with this post. It's for the mom's sake, not the baby.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo1 View Post
IMO, this really shouldn't be done until the child is 100% capable of taking care of every aspect of having pierced ears. If not a cultural custom, then who is it really for when an infants ears are pierced? Mom? The child certainly doesn't know that they are there.

Just let kids be kids and don't rush the growing up process.

ITA. It's for mom, not the baby! These are the same moms that let their lil darlings wear clothes like Britney Spears at 5.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 PM

[quote=Bilirubin;6582912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiggy007 View Post

You can always ask, like I did. "Hey, how many babies ears have you pierced? Who's better at it, you or the other girl over there?"

And wasn't this thread dead 3 MONTHS ago?

These threads have a shelf life or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary