Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM

10 posts, read 33,246 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am considering re-locating to the Falls River neighborhood of North Raleigh. I was looking at their covenants ( Books! Online Records - Document Images ) and came across Part III, Section 9, which states that no transmission receivers (antennas/dish) may be installed without prior approval.

Is this a rubber stamp sort of request, or do HOAs just love TimeWarner Cable?

If it is just procedural, fine, but not allowing discrete receivers seems rather draconian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,917,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumboChief View Post
Hello. I am considering re-locating to the Falls River neighborhood of North Raleigh. I was looking at their covenants ( Books! Online Records - Document Images ) and came across Part III, Section 9, which states that no transmission receivers (antennas/dish) may be installed without prior approval.

Is this a rubber stamp sort of request, or do HOAs just love TimeWarner Cable?

If it is just procedural, fine, but not allowing discrete receivers seems rather draconian.
Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule.

The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,086,901 times
FCC rules may overrule this anyway.

Contact the HOA for a written approval BEFORE signing anything if this is important to you. Many just require certain placement and limit size.

Get any promise in writing.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM

584 posts, read 2,416,027 times
HOA cannot restrict the installation of a sat dish - period. Our covenants say you can't install them but the FCC says otherwise and I and my neighbor both have them.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 33,246 times
Perfect. This is what I was looking for. I have cable in Chicago, but we have almost 60 HD channels. When I looked at what TWC offered, I knew that this was a relocation deal breaker
Looks like I'll be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule. The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,192,424 times
I drive through Falls River all the time. There are plenty of people with satellite dishes there. They just make sure to post them in discreet locations.

Trust me, I'm sure there are loads of people with satellite TV in most neighborhoods around here.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 AM

147 posts, read 687,553 times
I think the 'approval' process for dishes in most HOAs refers to their ability to enforce HOA rules about placement, color, etc. Some HOAs have rules about where the dish can be placed, what size dish you can have, and what color it has to be. Doesn't mean that they can tell you no, you can't have a dish. But you do have to go through the approval process and conform to their rules.

Now, whether or not those HOA rules would stand up in court is not for me to say!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,917,023 times
I think the term here is "reasonable accommodation". The Feds expect HOAs, apartment/condo developments and the like to make every effort to provide reasonable accommodation to those residents wishing to subscribe to satellite-based networks.

Clearly-defined, legitimate safety restrictions are permitted even if they impair installation, maintenance or use provided they are necessary to protect public safety and are no more burdensome than necessary to ensure safety.

Examples of valid safety restrictions include fire codes preventing people from installing antennas on fire escapes; restrictions requiring that a person not place an antenna within a certain distance from a power line; and installation requirements that describe the proper method to secure an antenna. The safety reason for the restriction must be written in the text, preamble or legislative history of the restriction, or in a document that is readily available to antenna users, so that a person who wishes to install an antenna knows what restrictions apply.

Restrictions necessary for historic preservation also may be permitted even if they impair installation, maintenance or use of the antenna. To qualify for this exemption, the property may be any prehistoric or historic district, site, building, structure or object included in, or eligible for inclusion on, the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, restrictions necessary for historic preservation must be no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the historic preservation goal. They also must be imposed and enforced in a non-discriminatory manner, as compared to other modern structures that are comparable in size and weight and to which local regulation would normally apply.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM

249 posts, read 689,474 times
Its good to know that the HOAs can't stop you from putting in a receiver. I moved last week and had Directv come out to set up my dish, only to find out that my front yard was the only viable location. We could have put the dish there in front of a small tree, but I just would have felt stupid for having a dish in my front yard and I figured it would not be allowed by HOA. I am so depressed about having to switch to TWC and lose my NFL Package as well as lose my ability to watch the Baltimore Orioles on MASN. Stupid TWC! Time for them to obey the courts and put MASN in their lineup.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,236,540 times
An HOA cannot restrict you from putting a dish in your front yard if you can show it's the only way you can get service. They can require you plant a bush in front of it, but if they try to make you remove it, you can call the FCC and have the situation resolved in your favor in about 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary