Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

We have a no on-strret vehicle parking rule in our HOA covenant and 1 person does not want to abide by this rule. She has permanently parked her car on the street for close to 5 years now and does not use the car. It just sits there. It is at a very bad blind curve and the neighborhood is getting divided on how to handle this. How do we make her move the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM

655 posts, read 916,521 times
Are you being reasonable? In my subdivision I got a violation letter because we brought our brand new travel trailer and parked in front of our home for 135 minutes while we loaded some camping supplies inside. It was the first time it was ever there and we were just loading some stuff into it. It was not even blocking the street or anything. I'll be honest, I was angry that they were being so dang picky. Two summers later the president of the HOA had some house guests show up, in their RV and park in front of his home for 3 days and stayed in the RV. Guess who knocked on his door to remind him of the rules he enforced He was also angry and told me to mind my own business. It was just as I thought,.......do as I say, not as I do.

HOA need reasonable and fair administrators otherwise it will never work. Rules have to be enforced and applied equally to all parties, or people get real angry, real fast. Then it all starts unravel.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,467 times
Another reason why I will never be a homeowner where there are covenants that regulate this sort of thing - or worse, an HOA to enforce violation of property rights.

Better to rent and simply accept the landlord's rules (it's his property, not mine, after all) or buy somewhere where property rights are respected.

Life is too short to spend time worrying about what the neighbors are doing with THEIR PROPERTY.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 PM

149 posts, read 515,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

Life is too short to spend time worrying about what the neighbors are doing with THEIR PROPERTY.
amen to that!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,160,949 times
In my neighborhood, people do all these "bad" things complained about above.

They bought the homes, they pay the taxes, they do what they want.

I don't give a rat's patoot.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times
But in your neighborhood, I doubt those people agreed to a homeowner's covenants when they bought the homes.

If like-minded buyers want to live close together under a set of covenants, then they should follow the rules they agreed to live under. It isn't that difficult. If you don't like the rules, look elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,160,949 times
Agreed on that.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,574 times
I agree that people have a right to some freedoms on their property, but it DOES affect the other people in the community. I could care less if someone lives in a pig sty or paints their rooms neon colors.

Once they leave disabled cars, trash or make the OUTSIDE look like junk, it affects the value and appeal of everyone's homes. That is why their a are a lot of rules governing such things with HOA and I have found most (not all) to be reasonable. They are not meant to run your life but to make sure that your personal freedom is balanced with the sense of neighborhood responsibility that many seem to have lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary