Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 09:15 AM

44 posts, read 167,168 times

Advertisements

I've gotten myself into a little trouble and want to prevent it from becoming catastrophic.

Does anyone have any recommendations for credit counselors in the Triangle?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,881 times
If I remember correctly from a friend of mine, its actually not worth going through. They charge you fees from $40-75 a month on top of your payments. I think its best to contact your credit card companies and talk to them. They can actually set you up with a plan that will save you alot of money in the long run. Just explain to them that you are considering going into a credit counseling program but want to see what your options are. They would rather you go through them then with a CC.

Good luck!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,825 times
nomoreFLA,
I have also heard that debt counseling is no good,especially debt consolidation. I have always heard that debt consolidation can make your debt problems worse in the long run. I would thoroughly research any debt plans before you do anything. I would do like the previous post and contact your creditors. I know I contacted my credit card company a few months ago to see about getting a lower interest rate and they did it. If you have been a good customer with creditors they should be willing to help you out. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times
Default A LifeSaver

I'm a huge fan of credit counseling.

The first step is to find an agency that is not for profit. I used Consumer Credit Counseling Services Consumer Credit Counseling Service

The fee I paid was only $5 per month. I believe that the standard fee some 15 years ago was around $20, but they lowered it based on my income/ability to pay. Well worth it imo.

CCCS dealt with my creditors to bring my accounts current, reduced payments, & slashed interest. Some creditors charged me no interest at all.

My credit was at a point where it could not get worse. I had to make a choice between food & rent and my credit card bills. I was getting daily phone calls from bill collectors. It is shown on your records that you're in credit counseling. This can hurt your credit for sure, but as I said mine couldn't have gotten worse. The counsellor said it could hurt or help your credit.

I was actually amazed to read my credit report. All my creditors brought my accounts current. Even now the accounts that still show up say, "paid. never late."

While you're in credit counselling you are NOT allowed to have *any* credit credits.

It is not a debt consoliation service. I sent in a money order every month with my payment to CCCS. They distributed the $$ to my creditors.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
clarkhoward.com: Save more, spend less and avoid rip-offs If you have not been to his site, there is a tremendous amount of information for you there. Best of luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM

184 posts, read 802,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
clarkhoward.com: Save more, spend less and avoid rip-offs If you have not been to his site, there is a tremendous amount of information for you there. Best of luck!
I second sacredgrooves recommendation for Clark Howard. I would also suggest Dave Ramsey. I have posted his link below, but would also suggest getting one of his books. He has vey real world, practical advice and spells out what you can do today to get yourself back on track.

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Very good suggestions here.

Just don't call any of the phonies on TV ads.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I like Clark Howard, too.

Here's the folks he links to on his site.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM

44 posts, read 167,168 times
Thank you to everyone for your advice.
I'll look into each and every one of them and decide which one works best for me.
I really appreciate you guys!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary