Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Al, I'm sorry you are not in my neighborhood... I have an edger that I LOVE to use! I used to edge the neighbors' lawns when we lived in Michigan! I've not been bold enough to ask any of my current neighbors if I could "edge" their driveways...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Oh, go ahead, ask me (also in SW Durham!)!!
Hmmmmm..... Only requirement is that you be within walking distance of my house... Otherwise, I'm there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
One of the great things about renting is that Drucker & Falk takes care of the grounds.

Almost daily, Heaven & Earth Landscaping is around doing something.

I get my exercise by doing 3 hours a day in the fitness center.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VMan View Post
Approximately what would one expect to pay to have someone aerate, do weed control, etc? I can handle the mowing and trimming, but just curious as to how much the rest would cost.
These are two separate services.

1. Fertilization and weed control
2. Aeration and seeding.

Both are dependent on the size of your yard and most companies will come out and give you a free estimate.

Just to give you an idea, I have .25 acres and #2 was $229 and #1 was $49 per application. They will setup a program to do the weed control and fertilization, something like 6 times per year. I primarily was seeking the weed control and fertilizing. The seeding is easy enough to do myself and I can rent an aerator if I decide our lawn needs it. Every friend I know who hires out this says the seeding and aeration costs were to high. The weed control on the other hand is about the same costs as doing it yourself.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I don't live in NC, but thought this was a good thread and wanted to say I do my own yard work also. I enjoy it, I find it very healthy and enjoyable. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with someone paying to have their yards done, especially if they simply don't have time but still want to have a nice yard.

I think that those who do have time to do their own yard work though and choose to just pay someone are really missing out. Yes, it can be hard work, but it gets you off the couch and away from the TV and outside where your getting sunshine and Vitamin D, it gets you exercise, and you really get to take pride in taking care of your yard and making it look exactly how you want it to look.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:25 PM

108 posts, read 559,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
These are two separate services.

1. Fertilization and weed control
2. Aeration and seeding.

Both are dependent on the size of your yard and most companies will come out and give you a free estimate.

Just to give you an idea, I have .25 acres and #2 was $229 and #1 was $49 per application. They will setup a program to do the weed control and fertilization, something like 6 times per year. I primarily was seeking the weed control and fertilizing. The seeding is easy enough to do myself and I can rent an aerator if I decide our lawn needs it. Every friend I know who hires out this says the seeding and aeration costs were to high. The weed control on the other hand is about the same costs as doing it yourself.
I have seen aeration, seeding, and fertilizing much cheaper than that. I can DM you details if you want.....

Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
My n'hood is mixed but my son has made some good money doing the cutting and weedwacking for the neighbors. On a super hot day most anyone will fork over $25 for him to do it instead. He is 17 and if he wants to buy stuff he has to find a job even if it means sweating his brains out.

But for bigger stuff we did it ourselves. We put in 3 new gardens and some borders around our gardens. It looks great and was well worth it.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,499 times
We did it our own yard for 3 years but no matter what we could not control the wild violets so we ended up contacting a yardman. He comes and sprays the yard several times a year and aerates in the fall. All other yardwork mowing, planting, trimming etc... my husband does and I help.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
We do our own. Not that we have had great luck with growing things here...I swear our soil is toxic. But it looks kept up. My husband has always enjoyed keeping the a nice lawn...I made him a deal when we moved here...either we buy a riding mower or we hire a service...he wanted the mower. I do the shrubs and plant the beds. I like it...always have.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I love yard work as well. I think b/c its our yard we take the extra time and effort with better plant selection and more original techniques and ideas...otherwise it is pretty hard to distinguish our cook cutter house from others

Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Forgot to answer the OP: I do my own yard work (cutting, weed eating, and edging), but am considering having the fertilizing and weed control done by a pro. I figure they have the better knowledge of what to apply and when. I've gone DIY and it worked for the most part but I spent way more time on Crabgrass control than I'd like this time around. Not to mention my yard is a tad bit bigger this time around. The only time I really mind it is when I have no choice but to cut and bag it the day after a rain which takes me at least a half hour more for slower mowing, stopping to clean out clogs.

My neighborhood is on average .24 - .5 acres and is a fair mix. There are young families like us that do the work themselves and then retired couples who pay for it. If I was ever going to be out of town I'd see if I could hire a neighborhood kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodBoy View Post
I have seen aeration, seeding, and fertilizing much cheaper than that. I can DM you details if you want.....
Yeah!, I'll definitely take the info as I haven't started the contract yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary