Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 AM

22 posts, read 51,842 times

Advertisements

Sorry to intrude on your discussions - Bedford has made it to our short list of community considerations. I would love to hear from people who actually live there. What are your favorite things, how did you choose...what don't you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabc08 View Post
Sorry to intrude on your discussions - Bedford has made it to our short list of community considerations. I would love to hear from people who actually live there. What are your favorite things, how did you choose...what don't you like?
Hi tabc08! We moved to NC from California a few years ago and had our house built in Bedford. Originally we wanted lots of land (coming from California that was like a dream for us) however after touring Bedford I fell in love with the community and felt it would be the best place for our family.

Things I like/love about Bedford:

The community is alive! There are always people out walking, children playing and people working in their yards. When I would drive through other communities I would hardly see people out.

Bedford is home to all types....families with young children, families with older children, empty nesters, newlyweds even singles. It's nice to be out and talk with people that are at different stages in life.

People really love their pets here! I'm an avid animal lover and we have our baby (yellow labrador retriever) that has so many friends of her own. It's great to see her play with all these other dogs.

There are different types of homes, sizes of lots to please most.

I feel very safe in this neighborhood.

There are so many social activities via the association or through friends/neighbors. And if you don't want to partake it's not a big deal.

I was impressed with the way people maintained their yards. I LOVE walking on Falls River and Bedfordtown (for example) and looking at all the nice homes and landscaping.

People enjoy the holidays here and it's evident by their holiday displays.

We will have a small neighborhood retail center soon (within walking distance). It will be nice to walk to the gym, get a bite to eat etc.

We have a great community web forum where we share information.

We're so close to everything (supermarkets, Falls Lake, etc.)

This list can go on.....but I think you would also appreciate some honest feedback

Construction crews We're still not finished yet in Bedford. Luckily my area is now complete so the dust and noise level is gone. But other areas are still being built.

People coming to visit can get lost driving in our neighborhood. I think it's easy to navigate through but our friends always get lost.

It is VERY quite at night! It took my ears some getting used to since I was used to traffic and other noises at night in California. Sounds funny but my ears were actually hurting at first because it is so quiet.

I also have one child still at home (a teenager) and sometimes I feel that they can't do the crazy things teenagers like to do (like hanging out on the porch at 11:00PM, or playing their music loud but I guess it's teaching them to be respectful of others.

In a close knit community like this you do have to be careful not to get caught up in the neighborhood gossip mill.

But with that all being said....I'm happy we moved here!

I wish you luck in your search!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Post containing pictures of Bedford

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...h-raleigh.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...arlestons.html

Posts about Bedford

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-bedford.html

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quite a few of the Agents in my office live in Bedford. What better recommendation could you want than to know that Realtors approve of the neighborhood!

I love Bedford but I still get lost in Bedford...thank goodness hubby has set the GPS to "go home" and it gets me out of Bedford every time!!!

The ONLY negative I ever heard about Bedford is an older couple with grown kids didn't like the fact that their monthly HOA dues included the pool and they had no intentions of using it. In Falls River, you have the option to join the pool or not.

Vicki

Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
tabc08~

NRaleigh did an excellent job of conveying some of the wonderful things about our neighborhood. It is a warm, friendly place. Are there specific things that matter to you that we could tell you more about?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:30 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Default Majority empty nesters?

My husband looked at some pictures of events that Bedford had posted on their website. He thought that the majority of the pics included apparent empty nesters (in other words, an older crowd).

I saw a post saying there were lots of different segments represented, but is it more empty nesters than anything else? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
My husband looked at some pictures of events that Bedford had posted on their website. He thought that the majority of the pics included apparent empty nesters (in other words, an older crowd).

I saw a post saying there were lots of different segments represented, but is it more empty nesters than anything else? Can anyone confirm or deny?
I think there is an excellent mix of both empty nesters and families with kids. I think you will find more empty nesters in the Charleston Style homes and Townhomes. However, there are many other sections to Bedford that have tons of kids and families. Just try going to the Bedford Spring Fling or swing by the Pool on a spring or summer afternoon... you will find more families with kids there than you can shake a stick at.

Bedoford is a great mix of both IMO.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Take a look at the HUGE pools in Bedford and the many many PLAYGROUNDS...I very seldom see Grandma out there sliding down those slides!!!

Vicki

Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:

NRG is correct. There are some sections that have more children than others however as a whole Bedford is definitely a family type neighborhood with many many social activities for children (as well as adults). Some of these activities include 4th of July Parade where people decorate their bikes, wagons, strollers and walk through the neighborhood to show them off. Afterwards is an ice cream decorating party with music by the pool. We have Easter hunts with an Easter Bunny, Pancakes with Santa, Cocoa at the Clock Tower on Halloween, movies on the green, concerts on the green. There are so many activities in addition to just everyday playing at the pools, parks, etc.....all this for a VERY small monthly HOA due! You can't beat it!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Bedford has a website and a newsletter, which may help some of you to see what it has to offer and the activities for all. No, I don't work for Bedford but it is one of the neighborhoods that I like very much!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary