Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 PM

21 posts, read 160,090 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just bought a 150 CC scooter and well, after I bought it, I realized only 50 CC scooters do not need license/insurance.

So the question is,

Is it a good idea to ride a 150 CC scooter on the road without ....a license/insurance? Will I ever get stopped and how will they tell if a scooter is 50 cc or 150 cc....

I just plan on riding the scooter to and from school and around in between (10 miles a day?), I am a student at state.

Also is a motorcycle license/insurance easy to get? I actually only have a learner's permit.....

Thanks for the help

NCSU Student
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 10:29 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,960 times
To drive that on the street without a license or insurance would be a very irresponsible thing to do. You would most likely be caught and have the book thrown at you. For unlicensed use a scooter must be below 50cc, but it must also be incapable of greater than 30mph on a level road and cannot have a shifter. You didn't say what scooter you have, but a 150cc scooter could quite possibly be capable of 60mph or more.

In NC, a motorcycle endorsment is required on top of a regular drivers license. I don't believe you can get a motorcycle license without having a regular drivers license. The easiest and best way to get the endorsement is to take a motorcycle safety course. They are offered through the community college system. If you pass the course, you will only have to take the written test from DMV.

Here is a link to the riders course and it should have a number for Wake Tech BRC

Old 09-06-2008, 10:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
In North Carolina anything over 50cc's is consider a motorcycle and you will need to take the driving test for motorcycles gert a motorcycle permit, pay insurance for it, get it register and tagged, and 3 months you will have to pay property taxes on it.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laexchange View Post
Is it a good idea to ride a 150 CC scooter on the road without ....a license/insurance?
In case the other answers haven't been clear, it is absolutely the OPPOSITE of a good idea. Get yourself legal, take a safety course, and wear appropriate safety gear. Don't be lulled into the misconception that, because scooters are easy to operate, you're any less likely to sustain major bodily injury when it's you versus 2000 lbs. of steel.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,427 times
Can you get insurance without the license? What if it is stolen?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Can you get insurance without the license? What if it is stolen?
You can insure about anything in life drivable or not drivable but does not give you a free pass to drive it. The other methods like the ones mention above is what is needed for a license.

I own a scooter as well as my car is why I know the stuff mention above and what the rules scooter owners should follow on North Carolina roads.

By the way if you want to take it to SC like to a beach you will have to follow different laws.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You can insure about anything in life drivable or not drivable but does not give you a free pass to drive it. The other methods like the ones mention above is what is needed for a license.

I own a scooter as well as my car is why I know the stuff mention above and what the rules scooter owners should follow on North Carolina roads.

By the way if you want to take it to SC like to a beach you will have to follow different laws.
Right, but I guess my question is for car insurance you need to have a license number (at least with my car insurance company). So what I was asking was could you get auto insurance for this without a drivers license (I was thinking that the answer is no).

Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 PM

as I stated in my last post you can insure anything you want to in life in the state of North Carolina that is all up to you however if you plan to drive it without a license which I am presumming yours goes over 50cc's then you will need a license.
In North Carolina you have to have proof of insurance BEFORE you get a license which means you can insure without one as long as you show proof of ownership. Sales receipt etc..

If you are asking this to see what you can get away with I strongly advise you dont try to skip any steps on being legal on the road especially with a scooter.

Cops know what red flags to look for with scooter drivers, and no tags on the back is the biggest flag.
The scooter keeping up with traffic above 35 mph is the other big flag

Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Sorry I meant drivers license to get insurance. Anyway I didn't mean to thread hijack. Hope the original poster got the info they needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary