Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up in NJ (Jersey Shore) many of the homes built in the mid to late 60's have cedar shake shingles as the siding. In all my exploring in the triangle I have never seen homes that have that kind of exteriror siding. I have seen a few older neighborhoods with homes that have the cedar shake shigles on the roof (can't imagine the maintenance involved with that) and they look very cool. But I have yet to see a home with cedar shakes as siding. Are there any out there? Is there a particular reason homes weren't built that way here in the triangle back in the 60's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 05:01 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
NRG,
Try the beaches, Outer Banks, to see cedar shakes on the sides of older cottages. Too labor intensive for production builders. Like you said, Jersey Shore.
The salt air and humidity don't affect cedar as fast as other woods.

Yes, the cedar roofs can be a nightmare, particularly when the subdivision covenants say you cannot change the roofing material to anything else.
There isn't enough talent around to properly maintain cedar roofs, and the cost is astounding.
My understanding is that the residents of Baytree Subdivision off 6 Forks and Mt. Vernon Church Roads were aghast at the costs and lack of contractors after Fran, and they voted out the cedar shake covenant requirement.

Another funny thing...I've been told by an appraiser that cedar shakes and slate are the only two roofs that add value to a home.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
I had to google it to see what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I've seen it once or twice around here but I can't recall when or where.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 AM

60 posts, read 288,262 times
There are houses in Oakcroft (right next to Bedford) that have cedar shake siding in certain areas. Not all the siding in cedar shake, most of it is hardi plank. We used the cedar shake to add some character.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been wondering about this for a while!

Mike, your comments about this type of siding being used in shore area communities makes a lot of sense to me, in retrospect that is pretty much the only places I have seen it, all the way from the New England Coast down to the Outer Banks. I think I have driven through the neighborhood you mentioned here in the triangle where they have cedar shakes on the roof. Although it gives it a great look, I can't imagine the sticker shock they felt when they tried to get it repaired after the hurricane as you mentioned! Your comments about the skill required to do the work also seems right on point.

RaleighRob, I imagine you found some pics of what I was talking about from your google search, but just in case, I have included below a pic of a typical house in my folks neighborhood up at the Jersey Shore. Almost every house in that neighborhood has this type of siding, and many have not had it changed in the past 40 years (Although it is starting show now). My folks even have this cedar shake siding on the interior walls of their living room. I know it sounds dated and kind of funky, but it gives the room a real warm feeling.

MPG802, that is cool that you used cedar on part of your house. I'm sure it adds a lot of character and makes your place look unique. Very nice indeed!

Cedar Shake Siding on 1960's House in the Jersey Shore Area

Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
^ Yeah I've seen it around in random places at random times. I could swear I saw a ranch with it near Cameron Village once, and maybe a slightly larger one in the Budleigh area, right next door to a Tudor-style house of all things. lol

Old 05-26-2007, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 15,672 times
Default Say no to Cedar!

There is a very good reason there are very few homes with cedar shake in this area ... They don't last. Our climate encorages wood decay. I live in a development here in Wake Forest which is less that 20 years old and a sizable (at least 25%) of the roofs need replacing. Many of thease roofs are less than 15 years old!

Check out CrenshawCorner | Google Groups (broken link)

My advice stay away or have a deep bank account to pay for repairs

Mary

Old 05-30-2007, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 68,342 times
Hi Raleigh Rob
We have many homes in this area (Boone & Blowing Rock, NC in the Blue Ridge Mountains) with cedar shakes and roofing and a mix resulting in
the Adirondack look Moderator cut: url removed & look at homes in Boone Fork Camp on our website Moderator cut: TOS Violation The look of Poplar bark is most prevalent mixed with cedar. We have a home that's gorgeous on Devonwood. It's Timberframe and mixes all sorts of classically beautiful woods. I would think anything that works here could be adapted to the Raleigh area as well. There, you have more sun damage and here we have cold and snow and wind, and the woods hold up very well. There is a famous lodge in Linville NC about 25 miles from us, that's about 100 years old and has tons of shakes and bark siding.
Moderator cut: removed to comply with the TOS
Have a super day.

Last edited by autumngal; 03-26-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM

185 posts, read 992,015 times
I've seen that in PA. first year of the cedar shake siding, it looks beautiful. 2nd or 3rd year, looks like a shack in need of repair. at least that's my opinion, obviously you don't share my view of the astetics of cedar shake siding otherwise you wouldn't be looking for it.

hope you find what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary