Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,701 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone! I'm hopeing someone could help me. My girl friend and I are having a little bit of issue's with making new friends. we moved here about a year and a half ago we have a total of 2 friends which both have kids etc and live in creedmoor. We live in Raleigh and know only the people we work with. If anyone could please help us in finding out nitch here. we love it here but its getting hard not really having a social or anything...

ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET WOULD BE WONDERFUL AND DEFIANTLY APPRECIATED!

-Sincerely, Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Have you tried searching meetup.com for social groups that share your interests? I think zoning in on common interests is probably one of the best ways for anyone to make friends in a new area.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,122 times
trianglegrrrls.com

Lots of activities you can attend to meet people and make friends!

Jenny

Last edited by autumngal; 09-07-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: link not permitted, ty

Old 09-07-2008, 12:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
There is a thriving GLBT community in the Triangle, but like any other demographic, it depends on what your interests are.

Considering the time of year it is, the best thing for starters would be to go to NC Pride, in just a few weeks, on the Duke East Campus. It's more than just a parade (which only a small number participate in anyway), it's a coming together of all of the GLBT resources in the area; the grounds will have booths with all of the local organizations there and info on each, with ways to sign up or get on their mailing lists.

Also, since you mention that your friends have kids (which implies to me that you don't), you might try Raleigh No Kidding, a social group for adults of all orientations who don't have, and don't want, children. I've found them completely accepting of gayfolks and it's a way to have adult conversation and not ever have to hear about potty training or school reassignments!

Otherwise, I'm a man so I don't know as much about the Women's resources here, but there are churches, bowling leagues, softball leagues, choruses (both a men's and a women's) and many other volunteer groups in the area for gay or gay-friendly folks.

I do know that a bar catering mostly to women called "Steel Blue" has recently opened in Durham (on the Raleigh side).

Feel free to PM me if you want to take it offline--I'm a native who's been involved in the gay community for over 25 years.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Have you tried searching meetup.com for social groups that share your interests? I think zoning in on common interests is probably one of the best ways for anyone to make friends in a new area.
i have not tried meetup.com but i definatly will look into to! thanks :-)

Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
trianglegrrrls.com
They have tons of activties....

Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbandcy View Post
Hey Everyone! I'm hopeing someone could help me. My girl friend and I are having a little bit of issue's with making new friends. we moved here about a year and a half ago we have a total of 2 friends which both have kids etc and live in creedmoor. We live in Raleigh and know only the people we work with. If anyone could please help us in finding out nitch here. we love it here but its getting hard not really having a social or anything...

ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET WOULD BE WONDERFUL AND DEFIANTLY APPRECIATED!

-Sincerely, Christina
Afterellen very recently did an article about the "girl scene" in the Triangle. From both their analysis and my own, the scene for girls largely centers around Durham. (The boys, for what it's worth, tend to congregate in downtown Raleigh.)

Scene: Triangle Cities | AfterEllen.com

This will give you an idea of places to go and what kind of fun there is to be had. Bon vivant!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
OK ! SO meetup.com is working so far! thank you for your help! ill know for sure this weekend @ one of the meetings ... THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,510 times
I am in the same boat as you two I just moved here in april and can't seem to find people to hang with. I have have like two friends but they work off days an off hrs from me so I barely get to see them an I am always up for meeting new people. I've never had this much trouble finding people to make friends. I live in durham right now but I might be moving to the raleigh area soon although I'm always up for the drive. I've been to steel blue its not to bad people tend to stick to their own groups an they are a younger crowd with a few exceptions. Your more than welcomed to email me if you all wanted to meet up sometime could always use the friends

Kris

Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Okay, often times a post from another LGBT member will post stating that they just moved here, just recently single or just looking for new friends. This comes up quite a bit so I just thought I would put in my two cents.

The likely hood that you could walk into bar and make new friends by joining a group of already made friends is highly unlikely. Thats why you will probably hear often repeated about TriangleGrrls and Meetup.com. Those two groups/meetings consist of people who are in the same boat as you, looking to expand their social circle. In most cases, you will NOT be the only one who just first joined. There will be quite a few people there that its their first time coming to "one of these things". Also, more times then none, the person who organized it also just recently moved there and does not mind taking the leadership role of actually organizing it.

So anyway, I definately encourage ANY LBGT person to check out at least those two groups. Both are a great mix of people, all with different interests & likes who, like you, are looking for new friends. You just got to take the first step and actually attend one of their functions. You'll have a good time. I promise.

If you need more specifics or just have any questions in general, feel free to PM me (I might not check this thread often). I've lived here ALL my life.

Good luck!!!!
Heather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary