Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times

Advertisements

My daughter's cat passed away a few months back. It was 14 and she loved it. We want to find her a nice kitten to adopt (I don't support breeders and pet stores) Any ethical places to recommend in the area that offer adoption services?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
I do volunteer work at my county's humane society and I can not begin to tell you how many wonderful little kittens.....as well as loving older cats....are just waiting for a forever home. Please, please go to your county's humane society. You will have your pick from many and varied kittens and cats. And I will tell you a secret, the fee charged by the humane society for adoption that covers the spaying/neutering and shots is less than 1/2 of what you would pay for having these services done by your own vet if you adopted a kitten elsewhere.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM

143 posts, read 708,532 times
We adopted 3 kittens from the Wake SPCA a few months back. I highly suggest them, they were great to work with and very professional!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
Safe Haven for Cats is located on Garvey Drive in Raleigh........almost in Wake Forest. I haven't adopted from here, but I have taken them supplies. They are a no kill shelter.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I got my first cat from the Wake County animal shelter and had him for 17 years! It's a wonderful place to adopt a pet.

There is a pet store in Cary in Harrison Pointe Shopping center called Pet Supermarket that has several ADORABLE kitties up for adotopn from one of the local cat rescue places (I just can't think of the name of the place off the top of my head, but it's one of the more prominent cat rescue shelters). The pet store does NOT sell them or get them from breeders, they come directly from a local no kill shelter. They frequently have a representative from the shelter in the store answering question. I fell in love with one of them last week, but can't take one home since I already have cats!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
There are tons of places to get a cat/kitten in raleigh. You can start with your vet to find out if they know of any cats needing adoption. They will want to know preferences (eg: gender, long hair/short hair, color, age) so you might want to discuss before starting to look.

also, if you google

raleigh adopt cat

you will find a ton of websites. wake county animal shelter, wakespca, 2pawsup, safehaven, marley's cats, second chance pet adoptions and so on.

you can also search yourself using petfinder dot com and search based on your location. Or you can go to petsmart to see the cats there and adopt.

We just went through this process 3 mos ago and were very pleased to find a kitten quickly. I found that each website was very detailed re: the adoption process.

Our plan next is to adopt a cat a year old - so many cats needs homes and they are just gorgeous, fun and beyond that 'kitten' stage. We adopted a kitten this time because our other cat is 19 years old and our kids have never known a kitten...I cannot see doing it again though. Phew, what a lot of work.

Best of luck.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I got my first cat from the Wake County animal shelter and had him for 17 years! It's a wonderful place to adopt a pet.

There is a pet store in Cary in Harrison Pointe Shopping center called Pet Supermarket that has several ADORABLE kitties up for adotopn from one of the local cat rescue places (I just can't think of the name of the place off the top of my head, but it's one of the more prominent cat rescue shelters). The pet store does NOT sell them or get them from breeders, they come directly from a local no kill shelter. They frequently have a representative from the shelter in the store answering question. I fell in love with one of them last week, but can't take one home since I already have cats!

We got our cat two years ago from PetSmart in Apex. The Cat came from CARE (Chatham Animal Rescue and Education). Best cat ever

Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
Just be aware that many adoption places, including Wake SPCA, will not let you have a kitten if you are going to declaw or let them outside. Not trying to start a controversy here, just letting you know. Trust me from experience, if you don't know this and admit it on your form and have a kid with you, they will let your kid pick out the kitten and THEN tell you that you can't have it.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 PM

39 posts, read 129,685 times
I adopted my lovely cat from safe haven for cats and I really loved that place. Nice and clean and the people working there where really helpful. Check out their website Adopt Cats Kittens Raleigh NC - SAFE Haven For Cats
You can see on their website, that they have a lot of little kittens. they are open on saturdays and sundays and they give you a lot of time to look and meet the cats.
btw. they don't allow you to declaw your cat, but they will show you how to clip the claws. I keep my cat's claws short and we don't have scratching issues.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Ah! WeluvNC jogged my brain. I think the shelter cats at Pet Supermarket are from Marley's! I kept thinking it was "Charley's" but knew that wasn't right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary