Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 AM

52 posts, read 200,359 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have begun an apt search in the area surrounding the Duke campus and am looking for something VERY quiet, and well-maintained...I do not really need much....

In my search I came across the GSC Apartments website and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the quality of the apartments listed?

Thank you in advance!
Kristen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,893,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoNC View Post
Hello,

I have begun an apt search in the area surrounding the Duke campus and am looking for something VERY quiet, and well-maintained...I do not really need much....

In my search I came across the GSC Apartments website and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the quality of the apartments listed?

Thank you in advance!
Kristen
Hi Kristen,

I would **avoid** the GSC apartments like the plague. Duke Manor and the others are fairly run-down (friends of ours lived in DM when they moved to the area and it was a lousy and bug-infested place). The complexes surrounding Duke have a fairly transient and non-student population and aren't the best places to live, IMHO.

My wife and I lived in Croasdaile Crossings, a townhouse-style apartment community near the corner of I-85 and Hillandale, before we bought a house in Durham. We *loved* it there. Croasdaile is a community developed by a family-run realty firm (they turned a family farm into upscale houses, apartments, and a Methodist retirement home -- they kept the old house in the center of it all, complete with Angus cows and everything!) The rent was reasonable ($800/mo. for 1200 sq. ft, 2 bed/2 bath with washer/dryer in unit) and, as a family-run firm that has its own professional maintenance staff, the experience was top-notch. They are a real class act.

They have other complexes in their area, like Woodstone (which is on the higher-priced end) and Croasdaile Apartments (a little less expensive). The area is safe and quiet (something I can't say about the GSC properties.) Shopping is nearby and it's a 10-15 minute drive to Duke.

One thing you might want to check out are the off-campus housing surveys/reports that Duke puts out to help students find housing complexes. Students review complexes each year and Duke tabulates the results. Check out http://www.communityhousing.duke.edu/ (broken link) for more.

When are you taking the bar? We moved down here so my wife could attend law school at Duke -- she's teeing up for the Feb. 2007 NC bar. :-) Good luck!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 AM

I forgot to mention -- I am assuming you will have a car in the area. If you don't, safe and affordable housing options in walking distance to Duke are more limited. I would check out Bradford Ridge and Poplar Manor; if you don't mind spending more $$$, the Lofts at Lakeview, Erwin Terrace, or (near 9th St./Brightleaf/Duke's east campus) Station Nine or West Village.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,383,556 times
^ Plus, I've seen craigslist list dozens of apts/homes/duplexes to rent in the Duke/9th street areas.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Thank you very much for the information! We are graduating law school this may and will be taking the bar in July. We have a little bit of time to get things squared away but just have no clue where to start!

Thanks again! I hope your wife does well on the bar! Good luck!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information! We are graduating law school this may and will be taking the bar in July. We have a little bit of time to get things squared away but just have no clue where to start!

Thanks again! I hope your wife does well on the bar! Good luck!
Excellent, and glad to be of help. Out of curiosity, are you going to be working in NC? Firm work, government, etc.?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 PM

I am hoping to be working in the Raleigh area. I am currently in the job hunt and am actually struggling to break in to the market as I am out of state. Duke and UNC have been less than helpful in providing information regarding job openings etc. I'm hoping for the best...haha... Any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,927,403 times
Hey guys, is Croasdaile Crossings the same place as Woodstone at Croasdaile Farms? It sounds really nice from your description!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Hey guys, is Croasdaile Crossings the same place as Woodstone at Croasdaile Farms? It sounds really nice from your description!
Woodstone is actuallty a different complex (more high-end, slightly pricier) but is owned and operated by the same awesome management company. Also well recommended.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 PM

117 posts, read 283,186 times
Default Job search

Quote:
I am hoping to be working in the Raleigh area. I am currently in the job hunt and am actually struggling to break in to the market as I am out of state. Duke and UNC have been less than helpful in providing information regarding job openings etc. I'm hoping for the best...haha... Any suggestions?
I graduated about five years ago and now I'm on my own so it has been awhile since I've looked for a job but one resource is http://www.lawyersweeklyjobs.com/

What type of law are you looking to practice? If you want to send me your resume offline to rosnerlawfirm@earthlink.net, I'll keep it handy and let you know if I hear anything.

- Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary