Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckerFagen View Post
Bizzel was just stating what was the truth. No, not all Mexicans are trashy, drive drunk or are breading rabbits, however, Moderator cut: no hate speech
This county is so screwed up no body can say anything without offending somebody and being labeled a racist and god help them if they are a public figure(like Bizzel) or even a celebrity (like Don Imus). Now that guy from El pueblo is calling for his resignation, what a bunch of bull. Don't you have to be a citizen for your rights to be violated? I actually though it was a good article when I read it Sunday morning. Leave Bizzel alone.
As a Hispanic and a female, I cannot even express what a disgusting and offensive post this was. You should print it out and frame it for your kids....just what we need, more narrow-minded generalizations.

While I agree there is too much sensitivity over what we say, there is a BIG difference between Don Imus making an insensitive comment, and a person in public office making a public comment. Bizzel is in a position of power, Don Imus is not. So yes, I have a problem with someone who's in a position of power making such narrow-minded comments, true or not. It subconsciously condones racist thinking...people start to think it's ok to think this way.

While you comfortably gripe about what you see with Mexicans in your area, you don't want to know what would happen if they were here one day and gone the next. It would not be good but some people are too oblivious to know or to do some economics research. What you have seen with your own eyes is just a small snippet of a race and does not make it fact.

Moderator cut: off topic
I cannot believe some of the ignorant statements being made here. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by autumngal; 09-11-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Default Moderator Note:

Folks the topic is the Sheriff. I caution you to please not enter the thread for any bashing, flaming or hate speech driving the topic to an illegal immigrants debate. As all posts will be deleted. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I think I'll stick with Wake County and Sheriff Donnie Harrison. If I were a resident of Johnston County I would be very embarrassed to have somebody like Bizzel representing my county.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 09-11-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM

183 posts, read 671,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think I'll stick with Wake County and Sheriff Donnie Harrison. If I were a resident of Johnston County I would be very embarrassed to have somebody like Bizzel representing my county.
newsobserver.com | Affair clouds sheriff race (http://www.newsobserver.com/114/story/505823.html - broken link) Sheriff Harrison isn't exactly without his own flaws.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks NRG. I'm appalled by both Bizzell's remarks, and some of the comments in this thread. I do not believe someone who has expressed such racist remarks should be in public service or law enforcement. As a minority, I'm grateful that I live in Wake.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
newsobserver.com | Affair clouds sheriff race (http://www.newsobserver.com/114/story/505823.html - broken link) Sheriff Harrison isn't exactly without his own flaws.
And no one amongst us IS without flaws.

At least Donnie Harrison didn't parade around in a car with a reporter on multiple occasions bragging about his flaws.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

At least Donnie Harrison didn't parade around in a car with a reporter on multiple occasions bragging about his flaws.
Too soon for a rep, but well said. Well said indeed.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 PM

183 posts, read 671,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

LOL

But yeah, that's my point entirely...I wasn't trying to knock Sheriff Harrison as much as say that we all make mistakes. Bizzell made a big one, no question, but if Donnie Harrison can be forgiven, he can be too (assuming this investigation turns up no true bias). I guess I'm saying I'm not ready to hang him before his trial, so to speak, especially after he's put in many, many good years of service in profession that I personally would never want to do.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
It takes guts to say what is happening without worrying if you are being politically correct.

I tip my hat to the sheriff for speaking his piece.

As Voltaire once said, "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your right to say it."

We had a similar Sheriff in Jefferson Parish, LA, and he had to take a lot of heat. However, Sheriff Harry Lee saved his parish from violence after Katrina. After a mall was torched, Sheriff Lee kept non-residents out of the parish. Boy did the press try to brand him a racist. He was a realist, not a racist.

By the way, Harry Lee is Asian and runs a Chinese restaurant in Metarie.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It takes guts to say what is happening without worrying if you are being politically correct.

I tip my hat to the sheriff for speaking his piece.
It doesn't take guts to say what he said. It more shows a lack of tact as he clearly has diarrhea of the mouth. Don't give the man too much credit, after all, hello....he rescinded his statement.

You're right, he has a right to say anything he wishes. It being an intelligent or appropriate thing to say is another question. That's what people are discussing, not his right to say it.

Consider this quote,

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." [Proverbs 17:28]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary