Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Also if people would take the time when visiting the WRAL news story to type 'school fight' into the search box at the side of the story a small list of 484 STORIES detailing fights and arrests at a wide range of named schools (not just the lower socioeconomic ones-OH THE HORROR) will be displayed.
What did I do wrong - I typed "school fight" in the search box.. got 481 hits but it was of general relevance - not schools (although the Enloe incident did come up second or third hit).....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
I am sorry but you would have to be wearing blinkers to miss the fact that fights are common in high school. You just gotta ask the kids where the regular fighting 'spot' is, behind this wall, in this restroom, every school has such a spot.
Illegal drugs, pregnancy, issues due to socioeconomic disparity, alcohol abuse, etc - yes - these things exist at a certain level in every high school - both public AND private.

Fights a common occurence at all the high schools in Wake County? I just don't think so, if this is a case can somebody "straighten me out" so to speak??

Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM

185 posts, read 575,689 times
These are all in the top eight of the results I am getting. I am using the search box beside the story, underneath the names of those involved in the incident.
All the following quotes are from WRAL.com
*Wakefield High School Fight Under Investigation
*Five Face Charges In After-School Fight
*Some students may not answer when the roll is called at a Fayetteville high school Tuesday.
*It's hoped that cooler heads will prevail at Terry Sanford High School today. Police say a student used a razor to settle a disagreement there yes...
*Durham Police Investigating Injuries When Fight Broken Up
*Durham police are investigating an incident in which they say two women were injured when an off-duty police officer broke up a fight outside Jorda...
*Then a video of a gang fight at Nash Central High
*Then a video entitled Gun Possibly Used During Fight At High School at Wake Forest Rolesville.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
are those in the pics hs students? they look alittle older no? maybe they were from outside the school.....

Is is common for fights in hs for kids to get arrested? I know there are and will always be altercations but I dont believe I've ever heard of students being arrested for fights here......just curious....
I am a high school teacher and yes it is common for students to be arrested after a fight.

Fights are much different today then they were 10 years ago when I was in high school.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I don't believe this is any different than any other high school.
I agree.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I don't know. I went to 3 different WCPSS high schools and fights were a regular occurrance. Maybe things have changed.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
The fight and issues it causes are bad enough but in my opinion the real tradgedy is these kids will go back to school after their arrest, if they attend Enloe at all, as if nothing happened.

I believe in the no child left behind but if you cause trouble in schools you should have 3 strikes and then get left behind.

If you cause fights and disruptions:
3 Strikes.

1. Free lunch canceled.
2. Free bus ride canceled.
3. Free education canceled. Pay your own way!

Seems fair to me. Our children are getting short changed as we are as tax payers for trouble makers. Schools are about learning and tolerances not Gang Fights and hand signals.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

207 posts, read 1,088,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Illegal drugs, pregnancy, issues due to socioeconomic disparity, alcohol abuse, etc - yes - these things exist at a certain level in every high school - both public AND private.

Fights a common occurence at all the high schools in Wake County? I just don't think so, if this is a case can somebody "straighten me out" so to speak??

As a former Raleigh Police Officer I can tell you that fights are very common at the high schools in Raleigh. Incidents happen all the time and school is where many disagreements start that spill over into the communities. They don't usually make the news but since the one at Enloe involved gangbangers (the news is jumping on anything with gang in it right now so any fights or incidents are going to be more publicized) it did. I'm personally aware of fights at high schools like Millbrook, Southeast, Wakefield, Broughton and Leesville Rd and Sanderson but like I said they occur everywhere. The school I responded to the most for fights and other incidents was suprisingly not a high school, it was East Millbrook Middle School. It is definitely common for high school students to be arrested after fighting. If you're 16 or older in NC we charge you as in adult. The schools don't deal with fights on their own anymore, things have changed quite a bit. That's why every high school has an RPD officer and every middle school has a WCS deputy because fights and other incidents occur frequently and it's way past the point of school's resolving these issues internally.

weluvwakeforest you should be happy your kids tell you it's not a common occurence (even though it is and they obviously aren't aware of it) that means they're focusing on the right things and hanging out with the right people.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post

If you cause fights and disruptions:
3 Strikes.

1. Free lunch canceled.
Personally I'm quite cranky when I'm hungry. I can't imagine how an already agressive teenager would be if he/she were hungry. If you are hungry you can't learn. Food should not be a punishment or a reward but that is a whole other topic.

EDit: and who says these kids get Free lunch. Did I miss that in the article?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
As a former Raleigh Police Officer I can tell you that fights are very common at the high schools in Raleigh. Incidents happen all the time and school is where many disagreements start that spill over into the communities. They don't usually make the news but since the one at Enloe involved gangbangers (the news is jumping on anything with gang in it right now so any fights or incidents are going to be more publicized) it did. I'm personally aware of fights at high schools like Millbrook, Southeast, Wakefield, Broughton and Leesville Rd and Sanderson but like I said they occur everywhere. The school I responded to the most for fights and other incidents was suprisingly not a high school, it was East Millbrook Middle School. It is definitely common for high school students to be arrested after fighting. If you're 16 or older in NC we charge you as in adult. The schools don't deal with fights on their own anymore, things have changed quite a bit. That's why every high school has an RPD officer and every middle school has a WCS deputy because fights and other incidents occur frequently and it's way past the point of school's resolving these issues internally.

weluvwakeforest you should be happy your kids tell you it's not a common occurence (even though it is and they obviously aren't aware of it) that means they're focusing on the right things and hanging out with the right people.
You're right about EMMS.

My son went there over 10 years ago and it was awful even then.

One fight near Millbrook HS years ago resulted in a homicide of a student by a non-student.

It happens here but not too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary