Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times

Advertisements

Have you guys seen this article ? Ahead of Ike, gasoline prices spike :: WRAL.com

I heard about the rationing on the news last night. They're limiting customers to 10 gallons at some gas stations. If you've encountered this, please post the station and it's location.

Will you be trying to fill up? I was reading on another board that the frenzy around the news of rationing is actually a selfulling prophecy because it makes people go nuts and go out & fill up their tanks even if they don't need gas thus we run out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
I am not planning on filling up, in fact I am still working hard to reduce my gas usage!

Why is it that every Hurricane that approaches or enters the Gulf of Mexico is the mother of all Hurricanes, real refinery busters? Considering we have not built a refinery in this country in the last 25 years and there have been many, many, many Hurricanes to hit Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi over the last 25 years why is it in recent years we get this scare tactic of running out of gas for our cars, fuel oil for our homes? Sounds fishy to me!

As they say a fish stinks from the head down. One also says a fish get all its forward moving power from its tail!

Our news loves to report the worse and move to the next worse story when the first worse news story takes a turn for the better. Ike smashed right through Cuba and devastated it, and was barely covered by our news media. But now its Armageddon, people in Alaska should board their windows, people in Hawaii should buy bottled water, people in Maine should buy generators and people in NC should fill their gas tanks.

I don't want to minimize the devastating affects of a Hurricane but sometimes we just need some reason and perspective and don't seem to get that from our media outlets IMO. Why must we cover a Hurricane with some entry level reporter tied with rope to a tree telling us the wind is blowing and its raining? I want to see the Hurricane that does not have wind and rain, now that would be news!

But is Friday and way to early to drop anchor on this subject so I'll just keep sailing until the waters calm down.

God speed to the Texas coast! Happy Friday!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,395 times
I sort of needed gas yesterday (1/3 of tank left). At the station I go to in Carrboro, there was a 10-gallon per transaction limit. I normally let the tank go to empty, but I did fill up, assuming that prices were going to spike in the next week. Hopefully this tank rides out the price increases, if there are really any.

The station is the Kangaroo on NC 54 by Carrboro Plaza.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I don't want to minimize the devastating affects of a Hurricane but sometimes we just need some reason and perspective and don't seem to get that from our media outlets IMO. Why must we cover a Hurricane with some entry level reporter tied with rope to a tree telling us the wind is blowing and its raining?
!
Why? Because if the newsfolk didn't cover hurricanes, they'd have to present REAL news, such as maybe some balanced and in-depth reporting on the actual views of our candidates for office, or perhaps a story on how the Fed bailout of Wall Street will cost us consumers trillions....

No, just distract 'em with bread and hurricanes!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times
I went to a Kangaroo station this morning. The 10 gallon limit is just a suggestion. They aren't cutting the tanks off at 10 gal.

Last edited by KellyCrash; 09-12-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,077 times
I went to a Kangaroo station this a.m., as well -- and it was just a suggestion. I fiilled my car (which is only 12 gallons) with no problem.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 AM

311 posts, read 887,508 times
The Kangaroo station in Wake Forest (US1 & 98) had signs up last night requesting that you only pump 10 gallons. The pumps did not cut off at 10.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_NC View Post
The Kangaroo station in Wake Forest (US1 & 98) had signs up last night requesting that you only pump 10 gallons. The pumps did not cut off at 10.

Good to know. Thanks for this.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Default From 3.59 to 3.99 in less than 24 hours

I've been getting gas in Chapel Hill on 15/501. Yesterday gas at several stations ranged from 3.59 to 3.69. Today the 3.59 station jumped to 3.99!!! WHAT! One other station was 3.99 as well. The other couple were 3.69. I filled up at a 3.69 pump to avoid the big jump.... at least for now.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I've been getting gas in Chapel Hill on 15/501. Yesterday gas at several stations ranged from 3.59 to 3.69. Today the 3.59 station jumped to 3.99!!! WHAT! One other station was 3.99 as well. The other couple were 3.69. I filled up at a 3.69 pump to avoid the big jump.... at least for now.
Wholesale prices did reach upwards of $5 yesterday in some Gulf areas. If there's much damage from Ike, we could easily see $4.50-5, although it will be pretty short-lived.

I'm hoping to stretch my now full (almost overflowing) tank of $3.62 gas as long as I can. Usually I can make it about 10 days. Might try to push two weeks on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary