Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM

79 posts, read 277,868 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]To the realtors here or anyone familiar with Zillow for that matter, how accurate do you think Zillow estimates are on homes?
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Zillow

Next in line please!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,888 times
I'm not a Realtor, but when we were house-hunting in the Triangle 2.5 years ago, Zillow estimates were way off - in both directions, depending on the neighborhood. Now, we were moving here from Richmond, VA, and I found that Zillow estimates were pretty spot on there, at that time, at least in the county I was in.

Actually, I just checked the estimate for my current home in Fuquay, and it does seem about right . . . a couple of months ago, it was about $20,000 higher than it should have been. The estimate has come down to match reality. . .

I definitely wouldn't rely on Zillow for any kind of decision-making. . .

Old 09-12-2008, 12:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Zillow = waste of time.

Vicki

Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Out of curiosity, if I notice a house in our neighborhood has sold, I check to see what the selling price was by calling my realtor, and then I check on Zillow to see what their estimate was.

So far out of five homes in the past year or so two, three homes have been within the estimate on Zillow, and closer to the higher end. One was slightly lower than the low end, and one was 5,000 higher than the higest. So, I have only those few to tell you about but that site was quite in line with the final prices. Interesting.
best
~toodie

Old 09-12-2008, 01:19 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
One word to discribe Zillow. "upchuck".

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Using Zillow Zestimates to set a value on a home would compare to going to Yahoo! Finance message boards for investing advice.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Out of curiosity, if I notice a house in our neighborhood has sold, I check to see what the selling price was by calling my realtor, and then I check on Zillow to see what their estimate was.

So far out of five homes in the past year or so two, three homes have been within the estimate on Zillow, and closer to the higher end. One was slightly lower than the low end, and one was 5,000 higher than the higest. So, I have only those few to tell you about but that site was quite in line with the final prices. Interesting.
best
~toodie
I guess once in a while, Zillow could accidently get it right?!!

Vicki

Old 09-12-2008, 01:40 PM

79 posts, read 277,868 times
Thanks for the responses so far, but for the negative comments what do you mean is bad? Do you find that it tends to overestimate home values or underestimate them?

I'm asking because Zillow has my house valued under what I am asking. Do they base an estimate simply on square footage for a particular area? Homes can have certain appealing characteristics that Zillow wouldn't know. For instance, my house has a large private back yard that backs up to a pond. I'm not looking at my neighbor's backyard when I'm on my deck. Having that within 10 minutes of RTP isn't common, but I doubt that's factored into their estimate.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajoy88 View Post
Thanks for the responses so far, but for the negative comments what do you mean is bad? Do you find that it tends to overestimate home values or underestimate them?

I'm asking because Zillow has my house valued under what I am asking. Do they base an estimate simply on square footage for a particular area? Homes can have certain appealing characteristics that Zillow wouldn't know. For instance, my house has a large private back yard that backs up to a pond. I'm not looking at my neighbor's backyard when I'm on my deck. Having that within 10 minutes of RTP isn't common, but I doubt that's factored into their estimate.

Zillow pulls data from the tax rolls.
If the tax rolls are inadequate, Zillow is inaccurate.
They have no idea whether you have a view or not, or whether you have a dilapidated home, or a showpiece.
There is no substitute for 'boots on the ground" for setting values. You just gotta see the property. That is one reason the computer modelling of the tax reassessments creates such a fuss.

Because there are houses featured on the site, people mistake Zillow for a real estate site.
It is NOT a real estate site.
It is a platform to collect revenue from sales of the ads you see.
No mo, no less.

If they get a value right, it comes right out of the "Blind Pig Finds an Acorn" files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary