Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 PM

39 posts, read 147,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
We haven't tried that place yet. We always have our two boys in tow and that kind of kills the mood for fine dining. :-) I do like the Red Oak Drive In though.
This is one of my biggest fears of moving somewhere were we know no one! I guess we will get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM

65 posts, read 174,556 times
Intense, as long as you stick with middle-class, newer construction neighborhoods (like Falls River or Bedford) I think you'll be very happy. Most areas like these are full of transplanted families with young children and are looking to make new friends. Typically they tend to be well educated, open-minded and very welcoming of diversity.

Good luck with your move. I hope its everything you wish for.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
As long as you live in an area with educated people, you shouldn't feel that you are looked down upon.
That's really the key! It's the ignorant you need to worry about. Thus far, I haven't come across much ignorance here in the triangle.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM

73 posts, read 158,363 times
Check out the school(s) you want your kids to attend and locate accordingly. As mentioned above the area are segregated to an extent. Segregation and racism are two differents things. There are mixed neighborhoods and mixed relationships.

The area is geting more cosmospolitains with people from all over the world .

Just make sure you have a job before you relocate.

www.wral.com

www.nando.net (broken link)

Old 09-21-2008, 01:39 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney02 View Post
Intense, as long as you stick with middle-class, newer construction neighborhoods (like Falls River or Bedford) I think you'll be very happy. Most areas like these are full of transplanted families with young children and are looking to make new friends. Typically they tend to be well educated, open-minded and very welcoming of diversity.

Good luck with your move. I hope its everything you wish for.
This begs the age old question : what is middle class? Falls River and Bedford appear to be more than "solid middle class" neighborhoods.....

Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
My neighborhood near Triangle Town Center is diverse and middle class. We range from yuppies to lower paid workers.

No segregation here. People get along very well.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:23 PM

100 posts, read 242,877 times
Default in touch much...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
This begs the age old question : what is middle class? Falls River and Bedford appear to be more than "solid middle class" neighborhoods.....
According to John McCain, it's just under 5 Million (5,000,000) US Dollars per year income to well....a debatable point depending on income and number of people in your household, etc...etc...but basically the poverty level or a little higher than the poverty level.

snopes.com: John McCain's Definition of 'Rich'

Old 09-21-2008, 08:57 PM

64 posts, read 177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Fuedal societies had classes. In the U.S. we have income tax brackets.

To help answer the original question of this thread: Coming from the Midwest (St. Louis area), I find that people get along very well here. In fact, I find it difficult to explain to some of my Midwestern friends and relatives who seem to think that racism is pervasive in all Southern towns that there is actually much more racial tension where they live.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:23 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense View Post
Just wondering...What area do you live and What is considered "black neighborhoods" ....in other words where are these areas located???? Hope you don't mine answering because I am curious to know if its an area I may consider to move to!!!
intense:

I don't mean to be insensitive (b/c I really can understand your position to a large extent), but I'm wondering why you don't really try to push for a newer neighborhood which would be considered very diverse by today's standards? The reason why I say this is because personally, I want segregation to end and the only way we can make that happen is for us to stop searching for and moving into "black" or "white" neighborhoods. It just seems like most people under 40 (and this is just my opinion) are very open and WELCOME diversity. And if you move into a newer neighborhod, you will likely see that the majority of residents are under or around 40 and you would (hopefully) feel very comfortable there.

Excuse me if there's something that I don't understand about your situation -- believe me, I realize there might be something I don't understand because all I have is my own experiences and those that are close to me. I just feel that I needed to say what I said because there are people like me who are heading to the area for the diversity and in hopes that choosing segregation can one day end.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Frankly if "diversity" is a big deal, I suggest you check out southeast Virginia (Hampton/Norfolk/Virginia Beach/etc area) - far more diverse than most if not all places in N.C. (about the same # of blacks and whites), lots to do, near the beach, etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary