Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,789 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate to the RTP area from the Northeast and wanted to get any thoughts regarding the Savannah development in Cary. I looked at a few houses there and they appear to fit my needs as far as space and small yard, but I did not see anyone in the neighborhood, or any of the neighborhoods where I looked, for that matter. I have a new baby and an au pair who lives with me and am used to seeing other moms out pushing their carriages. Mostly I'm concerned about my au pair being lonely all day while I'm at work. Is this a neighborhood where myself and my au pair would have the possibility of meeting other mothers with young children? Any other neighborhoods to consider? I'm looking to spend $350K, 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, not interested in a large yard and very interested in a community pool. Work in RTP and want to limit my commute to no more than 20 minutes. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,679,329 times
There's definitely plenty of young families in the neighborhood, and in that area. You may also consider neighborhoods in SW Durham like Grandale, or E Durham like Brightleaf at the Park. In the latter areas you wouldn't have as uch traffic or airplane noise to deal with either.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM

528 posts, read 1,458,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbavery View Post
I am planning to relocate to the RTP area from the Northeast and wanted to get any thoughts regarding the Savannah development in Cary. I looked at a few houses there and they appear to fit my needs as far as space and small yard, but I did not see anyone in the neighborhood, or any of the neighborhoods where I looked, for that matter. I have a new baby and an au pair who lives with me and am used to seeing other moms out pushing their carriages. Mostly I'm concerned about my au pair being lonely all day while I'm at work. Is this a neighborhood where myself and my au pair would have the possibility of meeting other mothers with young children? Any other neighborhoods to consider? I'm looking to spend $350K, 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, not interested in a large yard and very interested in a community pool. Work in RTP and want to limit my commute to no more than 20 minutes. Thanks for any insight!
Hubby and I visited Savannah during our visit to NC over Labor Day weekend. The biggest drawback for us was that the neighborhood is on both sides of Morrisville-Carpenter Road. There is only one pool and it's on the side of the development that's full. So, we'd have to cross the major road to get to the ammenities. Because half of the development is on one side of that road & half on the other, we didn't get the sense of community that we were looking for. We would much rather live in Carpenter Village in Cary than Savannah, but that's just our opinion.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. I've heard from several people not to consider Durham because of the crime and that the schools aren't as good as Wake County?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,152,505 times
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts. I've heard from several people not to consider Durham because of the crime and that the schools aren't as good as Wake County?
Uh oh. Now you've done it! You'll start the Wake County versus Durham County feud all over again!!!

Vicki

Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info on the development being separated by the road - I hadn't realized that. I was interested in looking at Carpenter's Village but wasn't able to find any available houses that met my criteria.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:15 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,649,954 times
You might want to look at Kitts Creek and there is another new development named StoneWater that might work for you too. They both have small yards and just minutes from RTP.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,900,270 times
Quote:
Vicki's right, this is a frequent debate here. My wife and I relocated from Boston and live in Durham and love it. We looked at Cary and Raleigh and personally, with the exception of some areas near downtown Raleigh, would never choose to live in those cities.

My in-a-nutshell opinion is, if you like CITY life in the Northeast, places like Boston and Brookline and Brooklyn and Manhattan, you will likely be happier with the character of Durham. If you live in the suburbs and hate going into the city, Wake Co. is for you.

Southern Durham is more suburban and appeals to many who want a subdivision but also want to be close to the universities, restaurants, and cultural activities in Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:46 AM

528 posts, read 1,458,780 times
Quote:
I was interested in looking at Carpenter's Village but wasn't able to find any available houses that met my criteria.
I'm surprised you can't find anything available w/your criteria. We're in about the same price range as you & wanting same #beds and we have found several homes for sale. Of course, whether or not they're exactly what we want is another thing, but there certainly hasn't been a lack of houses for sale in CV from what I've seen. Are you doing MLS searches on your own, or are you working w/ a realtor? ...and no, I'm not a realtor

Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,384,497 times
Quote:
There is some truth to this, but not as much as some would like to think. Let me put it this way. Pretend that Wake and Durham are dart boards. The Wake dart board of low crime and good school areas would be much bigger than the Durham dart board. Therefore, when you throw the dart at the dart board in Wake, you stand more of a chance of hitting an area that would be good. Now if you don't like throwing darts, then a lot of research will land you quality places in both counties.

Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary