Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times

Advertisements

I agree with the PP who said that if people are consistenly having problems, then there's a problem with the dish. We're in Michigan where there is a TON of wind as we often get lake effect wind/snow. We rarely have problems with our service going out. Keep bugging those DirecTV people to fix your problem...squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:05 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
When my husband wanted to switch to DirecTV from cable, I had only heard bad things about satellite. We went ahead and switched to DirecTV so he could get the sports packages, but I wasn't convinced it was the right thing. HOWEVER, I am now the biggest proponent of DirecTV. Their customer service is excellent, and it has to be a horrible rain for us to lose our signal. I wouldn't trade DirecTV for anything now :-)

Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM

40 posts, read 143,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me Info View Post
Not sure what "bad signals" you are referring to with TWC. I have had TWC for a long time and have never had a poor signal problem or any loss. I watch during the rain, while others with DirecTV have to watch paint dry while the signal is reaquiring due to cumulonimbus. Nothing worse than the winning field goal and right before it goes through the uprights......blink....a big cloud goes by and then you are watching the post game show.
I'm not referring to strength of signal, or signal loss. I'm talking about the feed from TWC, the quality of HD and SD is just flat out better. I wish you and Mr. Warner the best of luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 PM

249 posts, read 691,772 times
Im not sure why ppl are complaining about Directv so much. It is so much better then TWC. I had Directv for 3 years and only lost signal in very hard rains and only for a few minutes. In the 3 years I had the service, there was maybe one time I lost service for an extended period of time where it made me miss a show.

I had to give up Directv when I moved 3 weeks ago because of too many trees. I miss my NFL package, MASN(so I can watch my Baltimore Orioles) and the HD channels. They put TWC to shame when it comes to HD channels. I've only had TWC for 3 weeks and I am already sick of the problems. What a crappy company! Oh and the Customer service for Directv is very good. Two thumbs up!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 AM

147 posts, read 689,025 times
We have Directv. We actually have always had Directv everywhere we've lived -- we're just not big fans of cable.

Here in Cary, we've had Directv since February. The signal has gone out only a few times -- really heavy rain storms. It was going in and out during the recent tropical storm (totally understandable, of course).

One solution we've come up with to the occasional outages during rough weather is to put up some sort of digital antenna. It's attached to the top of our TV and it captures the local channels perfectly. I used it all throughout the tropical storm.

I do love Directv. Especially the customer support. They are great on the phone and great in person. We had to have our box replaced and it was no problem at all. Contrast that with TWC -- we have them for internet access and their customer service stinks! I still have an open ticket with them because I've called several times and have been on hold for at least 1/2 hour each time with no end in sight. Never happens with Directv.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 AM

147 posts, read 689,025 times
Double post, don't know what happened there.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
I had to give up Directv when I moved 3 weeks ago because of too many trees.
Sorry you had to give up Directv due to trees - I was worried the same thing was going to happen to me. It turns out that placement of the regular Directv dish wasn't a problem, but HD will be a challenge. I think the best place for the HD dish will be right smack in the middle of my front yard - I've put the whole HD decision on hold for the time being as a result. Honestly, I don't mind watching standard Directv anyhow - I think the picture is great!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:07 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
We just got DirectTV and I love it. When we had those heavy rains a few weeks back the signal went out, then it went through some cycling program to find a new one and it popped back on (lasted all of 30 seconds). With Time Warner in Charleston, SC, the signal was always going out - at least once per day.

If it was a choice between Time Warner and nothing, I would choose nothing. I love TV, movies, DVR, and football, but dealing with Time Warner just.isn't.worth.it.

DirectTV set up (wired) 4 rooms in our house, even though we only want TVs in 2 of them - so that is nice if we want a TV in the playroom or our bedroom in the future. The DVR is much better than Time Warners.

FYI - if HD is important to you, have DirectTV come out and see if you can get it in your exact location - big trees, etc, can block the satellite signal, and you may not be able to hit all the satellites necessary for HD (like us). There are receivers that work off of 3 satellites, it's called a triple LNB. They aren't using it here yet (testing in Texas or something like that), but they may have it available here in the next 6-12 months. I think you can buy one for ~120 from Crutchfield and install it yourself. Just Google if any of this applies to you.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 AM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
I have had DirecTV for a number of years. The only problem with customer service I have ever had was once when lightning struck near our house it zapped the receivers to both TVs (although fortunately the TVs were not damaged). It took them over a week to come to the house and replace them. I would still take them over TWC any day of the week.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 AM

249 posts, read 691,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Sorry you had to give up Directv due to trees - I was worried the same thing was going to happen to me. It turns out that placement of the regular Directv dish wasn't a problem, but HD will be a challenge. I think the best place for the HD dish will be right smack in the middle of my front yard - I've put the whole HD decision on hold for the time being as a result. Honestly, I don't mind watching standard Directv anyhow - I think the picture is great!
Thats exactly what happened to us. We could get SD, but the HD was blocked. The only place to get both was in the middle of the front yard. I didn't want to move into a new neighborhood and put a dish in my front yard. So I had to cancel Directv. No way could I live with SD because of my 50 inch tv. SD sports can be very bad on bigger TVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary