Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM

67 posts, read 331,075 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am looking to start service with Directv. Please tell me what you think. I've heard that signal interrupts when it rains heavily and so on. I do not know how true that is. So just let me know all the good and bad there is to know before I can sign up with them.

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 AM

21 posts, read 47,064 times
With all the storms and heavy rain we get in this area, the signal gets disrupted a lot. No matter how high the signal was tuned, it still got lost during rain or heavy cloud cover....no matter what some may think. I gave up on it, as it was not worth the trouble. I have been much happier with the solid service of Time Warner Cable.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,677,533 times
We currently have Directv, and we also have a lot of interruptions during rain storms and during high winds. We used to have cable, and given the choice, I would go with cable again. If you do decide to go with satellite, I would recommend DishNetwork over Directv. I found Dish to be more user-friendly, although customer service is better at Directv, IMO. (One feature I really don't like about Directv is that if you order a pay-per-view and record it on DVR, the system automatically deletes the program 24 hours after ordering.)

Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM

48 posts, read 297,851 times
My family has used DirecTv for four years and we never change to anything else! That being said, I do currently live in NH so I am not familiar with the storm situation in NC. We have had ours go out maybe four times total, not often at all and it only lasts a short while before it regains signal. It does depend on how clear the signal begins from at your house, they can tell you that and will place the small dish where it will receive the best signal.
~Their service cannot be beat.
~Their prices are great.
~Installation is free.
~They will move your service with you free of charge should you move.
~The quality is great- the offer special packages such as NFL Sunday Ticket (husband cannot breathe without being able to see EVERY game at once).
I obviously highly recommend!!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 AM

48 posts, read 297,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
We currently have Directv, and we also have a lot of interruptions during rain storms and during high winds. We used to have cable, and given the choice, I would go with cable again. If you do decide to go with satellite, I would recommend DishNetwork over Directv. I found Dish to be more user-friendly, although customer service is better at Directv, IMO. (One feature I really don't like about Directv is that if you order a pay-per-view and record it on DVR, the system automatically deletes the program 24 hours after ordering.)
We have DirecTv, ordered a pay-per-view movie a year ago, and it is still saved on our DVR and available for us to watch. Not sure why yours deleted.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,677,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveNC View Post
We have DirecTv, ordered a pay-per-view movie a year ago, and it is still saved on our DVR and available for us to watch. Not sure why yours deleted.
Maybe it only affects recent pay-per-view purchases? We received a notice in our bill several months ago informing us of this new practice. We haven't ordred a ppv in a while. Once I order one and record it, we'll see if it really does delete after 24 hours...

Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 AM

50 posts, read 254,235 times
I have had Directv about a year and the signal got lost about three times so far when it rained heavily. I live in Cary and the Directv small dish is on my roof.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM

319 posts, read 1,477,129 times
I've been a Directv customer for three years. When we have heavy rains, I do have signal interruptions. I had signal interruption for about five minutes today. It doesn't bother me. I love the picture quality and customer service that I get with satellite TV. I would estimate that I have had signal interruptions six times this year. I have only had it last about ten minutes one time.

Last edited by danadana; 09-16-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM

892 posts, read 3,156,619 times
we only have directv for the nfl package. if cable could possibly get the nfl sooner than 2010, i would gladly kiss directv goodbye. their service is bottom of the barrel. the slightest wind and sometimes cloud cover can interrupt a game. installation is only "free" if you buy their pricey equipment. i detest directv. consider it a pure racket. since there are other choices, choose wisely.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM

300 posts, read 971,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
we only have directv for the nfl package. if cable could possibly get the nfl sooner than 2010, i would gladly kiss directv goodbye. their service is bottom of the barrel. the slightest wind and sometimes cloud cover can interrupt a game. installation is only "free" if you buy their pricey equipment. i detest directv. consider it a pure racket. since there are other choices, choose wisely.
You clearly have a problem with the alignment of your dish. Wind and cloud cover should never cause a loss of signal. As others said (and based on our experience), only heavy rain should cause a problem. That being said, like many other people, we've had nothing but excellent service from DirecTV for the last 7 years. I wouldn't switch to Time Warner or Dish if you paid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary