Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:47 PM

528 posts, read 1,460,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Isn't that true every where? The job market is solid in certain areas covering certain industries. The pay scale may stink for a certain job line in the Triangle but pay better for another. I do agree people need to research for their particular situation, but I refuse to believe that the sky is falling.
It seems that the pay scale does stink in the Triangle more than other major areas...a puzzle I still haven't figured out -- but this is based purely on what I've read on this board. People just have to account for that when moving. Yes, some things might be less expensive, but then balance that out with the lower pay and you have to weigh other things to find out if the move is right for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
When you consider that Michigan's unemployment is pushing 9%, I can take the competition from a mere 29,000 people! Bring it on! (that's my war face...he he).

And for the most part, I do give people credit for thinking about things. For example, my husband is staying with his current company when we move to NC. But we just feel that the tech area (which is hubby's industry) is better in terms of future options for him. I can work just about anywhere.

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I think people think things through pretty well before they make such a big decision. Sometimes it's the wrong decision, but hey, I'd rather make the leap for a better future than stay where I know the road is a long, rough one. Yes we see people on here saying things like "I miss my family, this was a bad choice" or "I'm having a hard time finding a job". But this is part of the learning process and finding out what's most important to us.
Sounds like you're well positioned with a solid job and decent prospects for a second income.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 PM

31 posts, read 66,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
It seems that the pay scale does stink in the Triangle more than other major areas...a puzzle I still haven't figured out -- but this is based purely on what I've read on this board.
I would not use the advice of a relative few on a forum as absolute correctness of pay scale information. It really depends on your field, education, skill level and experience. There are plenty of people I know that made more coming here, while others made less. Of course moving here should be based on more than just finances...IMO.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:37 PM

3,939 posts, read 5,073,489 times
Default Times they are a-changin'

Maybe the relatively high unemployment is why poles show Obama and McCain in a virtual dead heat for the Presidency. Most of my neighbors tell me that the state has historically voted Republican in the past but that could change this election.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM

147 posts, read 470,828 times
Using this board as a barometer of the true economic health and growth of the triangle is naive in that most of the cheerleaders on here are people who are desperately trying to leave where they are and have wild expectations (dreams) of their new home. Or they are brand new transplants still in the honeymoon phase. Or, and this seems to be the majority, are realtors for whom cheerleading the area is a profession not based in reality.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,372,655 times
Out of 50 states plus the District of Columbia

North Carolina ranks 39th out of 51 with unemployment
with a 6.6 unemployment rate
Unemployment Rates for States

Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Quote from nc tv14,,, “There are so many people that are unemployed. In our area alone -- we serve the capital area, which is Wake and Johnston counties -- the number of individuals that are currently unemployed in our area is over 29,000." wow thats alot of competition,,,,,,,,,, Please keep this in mind if you think this is the best place for jobs,,,,,not good, This area never did have the job growth needed to cover the transplant migration. Ya the whole country is in a mess but this was called in posts over two years ago when others would say he is just chicken little and the sky is falling. Now we are in bad shape compared to job growth in Texas and other still growing areas, Charlotte still shows job growth but who nows with the banking mess imploding. Jobs equal growth not growth equals jobs,,,,,Time sorts out the reality and it has, Think before you move folks,,please take care of your families first before worring about warm weather.
If you figure that the Raleigh/Cary metro area has about 1,050,000 and that 60% of the population is in the workforce, then 29,000 people looking for work represents about 4.6% of the workforce. I hope this puts a little better structure around this discussion.

BTW, I based the 60% figure using the percentage of Raleigh's population in the workforce from the US Census website's data for the city.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM

305 posts, read 712,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Using this board as a barometer of the true economic health and growth of the triangle is naive in that most of the cheerleaders on here are people who are desperately trying to leave where they are and have wild expectations (dreams) of their new home. Or they are brand new transplants still in the honeymoon phase. Or, and this seems to be the majority, are realtors for whom cheerleading the area is a profession not based in reality.
I wish I could give you 1,000,000 rep points for this. You summed up the situation...EXACTLY.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 PM

89 posts, read 306,036 times
I refuse to see it all as negative. Times are tough all over the USA and have been for some time. Its all over, but Ive looked at different sites with unemployment rates and thats not even remotely what they all say. This state isnt in bad shape..at least not what people think, no matter where you are things can be worse and can always be better, its all how you view it. I personally have talked to many people that think just because they have a degree they have to hold out for a job they went to school for while bills add up and never get paid, and yet have no income for the time being...and its all so stupid when they could easily take a job to pay bills and what-not, it may be stooping for them or what theyve ever done but in my thoughts...you cant whine about your situation if youre not willing to even attempt to make it better, and on a brighter note my husband took a job less than what he had ever had planned and it turned out to be the best job he's ever had! So you just never know.
PS- Saul, huge fan there huh? I love all of his music, even his smooth jazz stuff he did a few years back.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 AM

31 posts, read 66,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post

You do realize that many people have moved here to better their lives and actually have. Some here would like to paint a picture that all is bad and you will be worse off for moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary