Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Using this board as a barometer of the true economic health and growth of the triangle is naive in that most of the cheerleaders on here are people who are desperately trying to leave where they are and have wild expectations (dreams) of their new home. Or they are brand new transplants still in the honeymoon phase. Or, and this seems to be the majority, are realtors for whom cheerleading the area is a profession not based in reality.
Oh please. You don't know anyone on this board.

You don't know what research people like me and my family use to make our decision. You don't know our circumstances other than a few random postings. Do you really think that the postings here encompass me or anyone else, and that you now know me well enough to know whether I'm "dreaming" or "naive"? Sorry, you're not that good.

Using this board as a barometer of what the people who post on here are really thinking and how they plan their lives is foolish.

Last edited by shoes4birds; 09-18-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 PM

305 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
I too have highly skilled friends here looking for work that just a couple years ago would have had no problem walking out the door of one job and finding another in days.
You must be referring to when Clinton was President.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Well, Raleigh and the whole area has lower unemployment than the metro area I currently live in. So, what is the OP complaining about, again?
Hey, times are tough everywhere. But, probably a bit less so in Raleigh. My dh and I aren't moving until our jobs give us a transfer there, but if I was unemployed here-yeah, I'd move right away to Raleigh and attempt to find work. And I believe I'd find it.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Unemployment will be solved! Housing crisis will be over! Loans will be one for all and all for one!

When you ask?

When Congress bails out Wall Street! We ALL benefit! The 29000 people looking for work will find it. The housing glut will be solved! The Soleil Center will be built!

Congress solves problems with our money! Thanks Congress from my generation! From my children, their children, and their children's, children, NO THANKS!

Where is John Houseman when we need him to speak to Wall Street with his now famous slogan, "They made money the old fashion way! They Earned It!"

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,451 times
This thread is likely an excellent example of how statistics can be misused. I always wish I became a statistician so I could have the credentials to shoot holes in statistics laden media reports.

29,000 people in our "area". Holy cow! It is a lot of people. But consider the "area" is enormous and the OP didn't include any comparable numbers such as the total population that 29K is culled from. Or how many of those 29K are in Raleigh proper vs outlying rural areas. Or their breakdown by education, etc. Or the overall unemployment % which from what I can tell is around 5.4% which is less than the 6% North Carolina currently averages as a state, and less than the 5.8% to 6% listed for most upstate NY communities, or the 6.1% listed for the country as a whole.

Obviously still not 0%. But certainly the Raleigh "area", whatever that is, is fairly slightly better than many other communities. So you could easily spin it in a positive direction if you were so inclined.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Here it goes,,,Im not complaining im not making up numbers im not portraying my state my home as a terriable place, i em not building a wall to keep transplants from crummy places from comming to my home for a better life. what I want to know is why would a transplant become so emotional about negative news coverage, what is the angle, do you get a commission or some thing, dont get it. If I were to blast NJ and it was you birth home I would think you would get upset which is cool with me. I help built alot of the streets you now drive on, I built houses some of you might live in. I planted landscape lots of you drive by. I help build this OZ through out my life, you so emotionally defend. I have deep pride in my State so dont shoot me this carp about me bashing are being negative or misusing numbers or wanting to shut all you out so I can keep it for myself. How many times can some one say ya its bad but worse some where else, no xxxx, thats a cop out. 153 metros are in better shape right now. 5.4 rate is not a good rate any where and it the highest in this area for the last five years, and if this post makes people look wide and deep at all options then its good. The post addresses valid issue of jobs and it is an important info to get out. There is no need to attack the messenger deal with the article not me.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Here it goes,,,Im not complaining im not making up numbers im not portraying my state my home as a terriable place, i em not building a wall to keep transplants from crummy places from comming to my home for a better life. what I want to know is why would a transplant become so emotional about negative news coverage, what is the angle, do you get a commission or some thing, dont get it. If I were to blast NJ and it was you birth home I would think you would get upset which is cool with me. I help built alot of the streets you now drive on, I built houses some of you might live in. I planted landscape lots of you drive by. I help build this OZ through out my life, you so emotionally defend. I have deep pride in my State so dont shoot me this carp about me bashing are being negative or misusing numbers or wanting to shut all you out so I can keep it for myself. How many times can some one say ya its bad but worse some where else, no xxxx, thats a cop out. 153 metros are in better shape right now. 5.4 rate is not a good rate any where and it the highest in this area for the last five years, and if this post makes people look wide and deep at all options then its good. The post addresses valid issue of jobs and it is an important info to get out. There is no need to attack the messenger deal with the article not me.
It's like NYC, many folks ran there with visions of big welfare checks.

It all changed when they found out the cost of renting an apt.

For some, moving here's a great financial move. For others, it's a route to poverty where the safety net is full of big holes.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
i em not building a wall to keep transplants from crummy places from comming to my home for a better life. what I want to know is why would a transplant become so emotional about negative news coverage, what is the angle, do you get a commission or some thing, dont get it.
You don't get it because you don't know each person's specific circumstances....at least not any more than what you can get from a few posts on this board. And don't take someone's comments that seem positive as "emotional"...these are typed words here and they are often taken out of context.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM

89 posts, read 306,411 times
We moved here to better our lives and its been nothing but the best experience since arriving. If someone has a bad thought on it, I think it may just be them and whats going on in their lives at the time they type these.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefrontgirl View Post
We moved here to better our lives and its been nothing but the best experience since arriving.
You must have just arrived.. Just give it time and see if you feel the same way 3 or 4 years from now. Had I listened to what NC Man and Saturnfan had to say about this area, perhaps I would not have been in the predicament I find myself today. After reading about this area in Money magazine while sipping my coffee in Northern Virginia, I just flew down here like a crazy little bird...

NC Man and Saturnfan, keep up the good work and spreading the truth..We Love your posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary