Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM

162 posts, read 732,746 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Still looking between Cary & CH. Seems like Cary has more homes in our price range ($300k) however we are very concerned about the schools. From these message boards I have read so many issues with the reassignments & busing etc. I am confused as to why so many people move to Cary if there is so many issues with the schools. I like the look of Cary but am so worried we will make the wrong choice as far as school district. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM

40 posts, read 107,085 times
I don't think there is as much of an issue as you may think. There are people that like year round and people that like traditional. So no matter which one is implemented, a segment of the population will not be happy. Luckily for you, the schools in Cary are very good. It is not like your children will get a bad education there. I say you should pick where you feel comfortable. We were just out looking at houses in Chapel Hill and did not like the feel. The neighborhoods were nice, but they are so far separated from everything. We really don't want to have to drive so far for everything we would ever want to do. So Chapel Hill is out for us.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
People are still moving to Cary and Wake County because it is a very desirable place to live.

The school situation is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Mostly you always hear the bad from people. You seldom hear the good.

There are those of us with kids (I have 4) that are very happy with Wake County Public Schools.

Vicki

Old 09-20-2008, 03:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,027,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
People are still moving to Cary and Wake County because it is a very desirable place to live.

The school situation is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Mostly you always hear the bad from people. You seldom hear the good.

There are those of us with kids (I have 4) that are very happy with Wake County Public Schools.

Vicki
Exactly. I live in Cary and we love our schools. I don't always love everything about the school board and some of the decisions they make, but overall we are very happy.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,085,380 times
My son and daughter went to low rated WCPSS schools but got great educations.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,482,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Lover View Post
I don't think there is as much of an issue as you may think. There are people that like year round and people that like traditional. So no matter which one is implemented, a segment of the population will not be happy. Luckily for you, the schools in Cary are very good. It is not like your children will get a bad education there. I say you should pick where you feel comfortable. We were just out looking at houses in Chapel Hill and did not like the feel. The neighborhoods were nice, but they are so far separated from everything. We really don't want to have to drive so far for everything we would ever want to do. So Chapel Hill is out for us.
Although I disagree that CH is "spread out" (I mean, you can live out a bit,or you can live walking distance to everything--your choice), I do agree you'd have to drive to get to a TArget or WalMart, if that's what you mean (those are not welcome in CH). That said, I totally agree that you should choose the area which feels most comfortable. Cary and CH are very different and people usually have a strong pull toward one and a strong aversion to the other. We chose CH over Cary (and would again) but I know plenty who choose Cary over CH. Both are great places to live, but very different.

The school thing? Well, the education in Wake and Chapel Hill are very good, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. There are redistrictings and there is the year-round issue in Cary. These are huge negatives to some, but not to others. If you really love Cary, maybe it's worth it. And plenty of people really haven't felt it's a huge deal. Personally I would find it a big deal but that's OK--I chose Chapel Hill. For others, Cary is the place to pick.

Bottom line: is it a big deal to YOU or not? Do you prefer Cary? If so, that might be the better choice! You don't wnat to live in a town you don't like, whether or not there are good schools with little redistricting!

Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,534,656 times
The schools in Cary and msot of Wake County aren't bad....they are mostly good schools (definitely a few bad ones) that offer a quality education. The problem that most people found, myelf included was as others are saying; reassignments. They hit Cary/Apex and N. Raleigh/Wake Forrest the hardest every year so in those areas (the fastest growng in Wake Co.) that people get the most upset because their kids have all been reassigned atleast once in elementary school; and a couple years ago, high school as well.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,027,273 times
Not all of Cary, keep that mind. Our Cary school's base assignment hasn't changed in 30 years and none of our children have been redistricred. In fact, my neighbor who lives across the street went to the same school in Cary that her now 3rd grade son attends and has even had the same teachers!
It's found in pockets of Cary that people seem to be drawn to, creating crowding problems, but many locals know to avoid.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 AM

40 posts, read 107,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Not all of Cary, keep that mind. Our Cary school's base assignment hasn't changed in 30 years and none of our children have been redistricred. In fact, my neighbor who lives across the street went to the same school in Cary that her now 3rd grade son attends and has even had the same teachers!
It's found in pockets of Cary that people seem to be drawn to, creating crowding problems, but many locals know to avoid.
Very good points. There is a big misconception that parents not involved in the school system have. It's unfortunate, as sometimes the wrong information can get out there. Thanks for clarifying this for everyone.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
I'm in North Raleigh, having lived in this particular house for the last 18 years.

The only time we were redistricted was about 5 years ago...my daughter's middle school was changed when she entered 6th grade. It was a change we wanted.

Other than that...4 kids...all same elementary and high school. Two went to one middle and two to the other.

We've had good years with great teachers and a couple of years with teachers that SHOULD have retired years before! We have teachers that taught when child #1 went to HS and the SAME teachers are teaching child #4.

I have 3 kids that got into very good colleges, including UNC Chapel Hill and NCSU and ECU.

I'm very happy with WCPSS.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary