Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family moving to Triangle area from Atlanta suburbs, seeking information about commute time from Cary/Chapel Hill to tech businesses in RTP

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 46,909 times

Advertisements

I have a similar question, how long is the commute from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, generally speaking? Google maps is nice and all, but it doesn't take into consideration the traffic. The times we have been there, have been during holidays/weekends, so we haven't been able to get a real estimate.

All I have been able to get of people I ask is "traffic is horrible!". Coming from DC -- we know horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettermark View Post
I have a similar question, how long is the commute from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, generally speaking? Google maps is nice and all, but it doesn't take into consideration the traffic. The times we have been there, have been during holidays/weekends, so we haven't been able to get a real estimate.

All I have been able to get of people I ask is "traffic is horrible!". Coming from DC -- we know horrible.
Depends on where you are starting in Chapel Hill, where you are going to in Raleigh, what day of the week, and what time of the day.

But seeing that you are from DC. It'll be a piece of cake

Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
mswmiz77, is there any way you could rent for a while when you first move down here? I know it's not possible for a lot of people, but it's a great way to get to know the whole area before making a major commitment. I highly recommend it if you can.

Research Triangle Park is basically situated in the center of this region we call The Triangle. Tens of thousands of people work there & you'll find that their homes are sprinkled all over this region. I know a guy who lives in an apartment complex in Morrisville & has a 5 minute commute to his job in RTP. I know another guy who lives up in Youngsville & spends almost an hour getting to his job in RTP. I think it's far more common for people to have a commute time between 20 to 40 minutes, but those people don't come from one spot. They come from all over. Based purely on what I've seen on the news, the worst commute-time traffic into RTP seems to be I-40 west-bound (flowing from Raleigh & Cary into RTP). Even so, it may seem like a breeze compared to Atlanta.

In my opinion, the entire Triangle area has a very suburban feel to it. There are a few areas that feel slightly more urban and a few that feel a bit more rural, but not a lot. The high majority of this whole area feels very family friendly to me, so I don't think you need to worry much about that. Unfortunately, though, this doesn't whittle down your options much!

In your price range, there's plenty to offer. If you want to live closer to RTP, then obviously you need to check out the communities that border it. If you don't mind the longer commutes into RTP (40 minutes or more), I'd check out the outer suburbs (Clayton, Holly Springs, Hillsborough, etc.). There are a ton of options out there for you. Good luck sorting it all out!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 46,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Depends on where you are starting in Chapel Hill, where you are going to in Raleigh, what day of the week, and what time of the day.

But seeing that you are from DC. It'll be a piece of cake
Let say I am driving from the center of Chapel Hill to the center of Raleigh on Monday at 8:00 a.m., or vice versa but at 5:00 p.m. Basically, just rush hour, typical, no accidents or ice storms, alien invasions, etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM

40 posts, read 107,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettermark View Post

According to Mapquest, it is 28 miles and 39 minutes from downtown to downtown. That is without traffic backups. That looks like a bad commute to me, but may not to someone from a metro area.

Driving Directions from Chapel Hill, NC to Raleigh, NC

Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
My daughter used to drive home (North Raleigh) from UNC (Chapel Hill) sometimes during the middle of the week.

It would take her anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. If it was a rainy Friday afternoon, around rush hour, and there was an accident (seems typical for a rainy Friday), it could take her l.5 hours.

To someone from DC...this isn't that bad but keep in mind, it ain't getting better!

To me...taking more than 5 minutes to get from my home to my office is a long time!!!

Vicki

Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 22,096 times
Default Thanks

Thank you everyone who has replied and helped me sort through things. There are some "shake ups" happening at my husband's work right now, so I am really just trying to put my feelers out there in areas where he would hopefully be able to find work, if it comes to that. Your city sounds fantastic and will definitely be on the top of my list of places to check out, vacation or relocation-wise!!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
I have a similar question, how long is the commute from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, generally speaking?
Ugh. I live in North Raleigh, right off 540 (the "easy" side of town) and worked at UNC for a few months (my double alma mater, so I was VERY excited to get a job there!), but ended up leaving that job after less than a year, partially because of the traffic--specifically, coming home (CH to R). Especially in the winter, when it's dark at 5:30, having to sit in traffic half of the trip to get home, after working all day, just drained me.

Now, maybe you will be going the opposite way--working in Raleigh and living in CH. That would be "against traffic" at least as far as RTP (I drive to Durham on 40 once a week, from downtown Raleigh, and it's no problem).

To answer your question--in "typical" rush hour traffic, I think about and hour is not an unreasonable guess, longer if you're going to the South or East of Raleigh.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:19 PM

76 posts, read 195,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki Hale View Post
If you're looking for a great apartment community close to RTP you should try Alexan Panther Creek or Tradition at Stonewater. They are both great communities with great amenities and great prices. They are both extremely close to RTP and shopping. If you'd like any more information, please let me know.
That is an excellent Cary location. It is less than 10 minutes to the southern part of RTP from there and a piece of cake drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary