Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 AM

36 posts, read 138,005 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved to the North Raleigh area from Florida.

While doing grocery shopping at Harris Teeter, I found the prices very high. I am amazed. I thought that the prices would be better than in Florida, considering that many manufacturers are closer to here than there.

Anyway, I found that Super Target has good prices, but doesn't carry everything that I need, or more specifically the brands of certain products. I did find their meat prices relatively high also.

In my search for better prices, I went to Food Lion. Ok, it is definately not as pretty. That's fine with me. There prices were better than HT. What bothered me was that through the butcher window, I could see cut beef sitting on the counter. No one was around. I went back to the window about 10 minutes later, the meat had not been touched, and there was still no one around.

Now I know 2 things. I won't ever purchase any meat or fruit from that store, and the meat problem that FL had in Florida still hasn't been fixed.

This leaves me with the warehouse clubs such as Sam's, BJ's, etc......... Does anyone shop at these stores for their meat? How are the prices? The quality?

I have a membership from Sam's, from when I was in Florida. Should I continue with them or try somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachin01930 View Post
Hi,

I went to Food Lion. Ok, it is definately not as pretty. That's fine with me. There prices were better than HT. What bothered me was that through the butcher window, I could see cut beef sitting on the counter. No one was around. I went back to the window about 10 minutes later, the meat had not been touched, and there was still no one around.

Now I know 2 things. I won't ever purchase any meat or fruit from that store, and the meat problem that FL had in Florida still hasn't been fixed.
If I remember correctly, Food Lion was exposed by Sixty Minutes or Dateline for changing the expiration dates on packaged meats. It was something along these lines.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM

In Florida, they no longer call themselves FL. They changed their name to Kash n Karry. That name isn't working out well either. They are now morphing into Sweetbay.

I still wouldn't shop there. The customer service alone keeps me away.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:38 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
If I have to do a "big" shop I often go to a less expensive store (Walmart - ugh, food lion, target, etc.) and then buy my meat at Harris Teeter. I never buy meat at walmart or food lion. HT is great if you can hit their buy one get one sales...

Old 02-09-2007, 10:14 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
What about Lowes??
How are those prices vs. HT???
I love the meat at Cost Co here in CA. Very clean and sanitary in their butcher shop, prices seem higher than some sales you can get it at, but it
is worth the extra.
Over all, yes, NC groceries and produce are higher than in CA, but then you would have to fight the traffic in CA just to go buy those groceries.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Lowes?

I haven't stumbled across that yet. Is it a grocery store or a warehouse store?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachin01930 View Post
Lowes?

I haven't stumbled across that yet. Is it a grocery store or a warehouse store?

It is a grocery store. They also have the Lowes that is the home improvement stores, but they have a Lowe's food store as well.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:05 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I have heard from many many people that the grocery store food is more expensive than in most places on the east coast. Harris teeter is one of the more expensive grocery stores in the area, but tends to have a better selection than most, and does double coupons and the VIC card which will give you savings. Lowe's is also good, cheaper than HT, but not as much organic selection, it is my choice of grocery store for the every day things I need. Super target does have some great prices, but the one I go to tend to run out of items quickly, which is annoying.

Food lion, never go there because I feel like it is gross. Sorry, don't mean to offend, but I just don't like it.

Whole foods, trader joes, etc are also very good, but tend to work better if you live in cary or chapel hill because they are close by.

Hope this helps
Leigh

Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
I have always bought my meat at Costco. Good prices but you have to buy a lot at one time. I found that Kroger seemed to have good grocery prices. So I stick to there and Super Target pretty much. I will run to HT if I can't find something that I need at the other two. Overall I can't find the brands I am used to buying on the west coast. I am baffled by what is decent here and what isn't!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:33 PM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
Nobody mentioned Kroger... I have been shopping there and although its a confusing store.. once you get to know it.. its not bad at all. They double coupons and most sites have gas stations that offer 10cents off each gallon when you spend $100 in groceries. Not too shabby !!They also do 10/10 sales which means that you just spend a buck no matter how much ya buy.

I like Krogers.. and their generic brands aren't bad.

Now Aldi is another option.. small, little selection but for canned stuff.. its a good deal.

Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary