Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times

Advertisements

Parents of Wakefield High assault victim ‘outraged’ :: WRAL.com
The latest.. plus a picture of the victim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

imagine if three white boys had stomped on an younger skinny black boy. anyone with a brain knows that AL and Jesse and The Dr Reverend William Barbour would be stirring up trouble. These bottom feeders will all be in prison within 5 years. They are scum of the earth. As a former college football player I can promise that if they did that to my son I would make Buford T Pusser proud. The one bottom feeder was smiling in his mug shot. 17 years old in the 9th grade proves retardation. They are animals.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 PM

90 posts, read 304,816 times
Let me clarify for anyone who saw my earlier post and thought that possibly I'm in a 'witchunt' frame of mind or am only getting excited because of 'bussing' kids in from out of the neighborhood. I have 3 kids under 5, my oldest just started kindergarten. I love him more than I love myself. When I think of these parents getting a phone call about what happened to their child I cringe. Thinking about this boy going through all the emotional and physical trauma now and in the future is what comes to mind. This crap happens in Wakefield and it happens downtown and in all parts of Raleigh and could happen in Rolesville, Durham or Wake Forest. All of those victims don't deserve it and all of the victim's parents don't either. That is what causes my emotions to take over and mention protesting at these boys' homes.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
This incident is horrible. I hope it is a wake up call for the school system to get with the times and implement better ways of dealing with these situations.

I know of the housing area in which someone posted these boys reside. It's a sketchy row of homes; anyone that drives by it will notice. However, across the road is two or three nice subdivisions. These children are assigned to Wakefield too. Why are we lumping all "bussed in" children in one group. What the heck does bussed in mean anyway? How far does one have to travel to be considered bussed in? I always think of bussed in as being traveling from across the city. I thought Wakefield was in a reasonable drive of the Perry Creek area?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
To dust off an old phrase that needs to be said more and more these days, I quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?". If we followed those simple words we all would be able to focus our attention on bigger issues we all face.

The more I read about this incident the sadder I get.......

Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 AM

50 posts, read 132,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
imagine if three white boys had stomped on an younger skinny black boy. anyone with a brain knows that AL and Jesse and The Dr Reverend William Barbour would be stirring up trouble. These bottom feeders will all be in prison within 5 years. They are scum of the earth. As a former college football player I can promise that if they did that to my son I would make Buford T Pusser proud. The one bottom feeder was smiling in his mug shot. 17 years old in the 9th grade proves retardation. They are animals.
Imagine if everyone involved had been black. Would this incident receive less attention and simply be referred to as "gang related" and all but forgotten? Imagine if everyone involved had been white. Would your reaction have been the same, or would you have considered this a school fight gone terribly wrong between some boys?

I would hope that the racial composition of the students involved would be a non-factor for the people in your community, but posts like this give me pause. Perhaps the lack of "stirring up trouble," as you referred to it, is part of the problem; that is, no one really seems to take note of the violence until it involves perpetrators and victims of different racial groups.

A violent incident has occurred not only in your school district but on the grounds of the school. Everyone should be equally outraged and disgusted. Fanning the flames by playing the racecard is counterproductive.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
They seem to have trouble keeping their teens from partying too hard and drinking and driving which is sad and sounds mean but is true.
Well, this is true not only of lower economic groups, but of uppers, too. The rich kids usually always had the wildest parties when I was that age (and often the biggest "entitlement" attitudes).

Quote:
Its really more the parents than the school itself though.
Naturally--like 99% the parents. Anyone whose kid would get to a point in life that he treats another student like that for ANY reason "wasn't raised right", as we say here in the South. Unfortunately, somehow the school (system) will get sued, since there is no real way to sue the parents of these perps for raising monsters--wouldn't it be great if there were! I bet if parents were held legally responsible for the actions of their minor children, we'd see a lot less such incidents.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
This incident is horrible. I hope it is a wake up call for the school system to get with the times and implement better ways of dealing with these situations.

I know of the housing area in which someone posted these boys reside. It's a sketchy row of homes; anyone that drives by it will notice. However, across the road is two or three nice subdivisions. These children are assigned to Wakefield too. Why are we lumping all "bussed in" children in one group. What the heck does bussed in mean anyway? How far does one have to travel to be considered bussed in? I always think of bussed in as being traveling from across the city. I thought Wakefield was in a reasonable drive of the Perry Creek area?

The corner of Perry Creek and Capital is not quite 8 miles from Wakefield High School. Of course, the busses travel within the subdivisions off Perry Creek/Hwy 401. Sanderson High is 9 miles away... Millbrook is the closest - approx 6 miles away. The kids gotta go to school SOMEWHERE. My guess is they head up Capital to help the F&R numbers - Sanderson and Millbrook have their numbers (again just a guess). Currently, the entire Wakefield neighborhood is zoned WHS, and this is not a socioeconomic diverse group.... so....

Riverside is a nice neighborhood with really nice homes under or right at $100.00 a square foot. My daughter went to a birthday pool party there recently and the neighborhood appears to be very diverse... so while I have a feeling the people there are NOT free and reduced families - they still add diversity to WHS ...

Just across Capital Blvd. the high dollar neighborhoods off Durant Road (Falls River - connecting to Bedford) are much more money (technically north raleigh)... not sure where they go to school...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 AM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
Imagine if everyone involved had been black. Would this incident receive less attention and simply be referred to as "gang related" and all but forgotten? Imagine if everyone involved had been white. Would your reaction have been the same, or would you have considered this a school fight gone terribly wrong between some boys?

I would hope that the racial composition of the students involved would be a non-factor for the people in your community, but posts like this give me pause. Perhaps the lack of "stirring up trouble," as you referred to it, is part of the problem; that is, no one really seems to take note of the violence until it involves perpetrators and victims of different racial groups.

A violent incident has occurred not only in your school district but on the grounds of the school. Everyone should be equally outraged and disgusted. Fanning the flames by playing the racecard is counterproductive.
I agree with this 100% and was thinking this same thing. You know some of the attitudes on this board are pretty disgusting. Why is it that somebody from a 'sketchy' area (aka any area that isn't white bread suburbia) and who 'rents' instead of buys their residence is somehow scum of the earth who only produce degenerate offspring? I thought we have come a little further in our civilization, but it's obvious that many are still stuck with the same bigoted prejudice.

Also, just because somebody has an uncontrollable child, that doesn't mean that the parent didn't do all they could to keep their child out of trouble. Actually, this is one of the claims from someone close to the family of one of the perps mentioned on golo. Some kids are just bad seeds! Is that so hard to understand? They come from all socio-economic backgrounds. Heck, YOU might have one living in your house oblivious to how good your parenting skills are.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, this is true not only of lower economic groups, but of uppers, too. The rich kids usually always had the wildest parties when I was that age (and often the biggest "entitlement" attitudes).

Naturally--like 99% the parents. Anyone whose kid would get to a point in life that he treats another student like that for ANY reason "wasn't raised right", as we say here in the South. Unfortunately, somehow the school (system) will get sued, since there is no real way to sue the parents of these perps for raising monsters--wouldn't it be great if there were! I bet if parents were held legally responsible for the actions of their minor children, we'd see a lot less such incidents.
Let me clarify something...in NO post I've made on this thread, was I implying that the socio-economic status of the students involved was a reason behind what happened. I was actually talking about ANY of the students, the student body in general at Wakefield who throw the big parties with all of the alcohol. I agree with you 100% that the overwhelming majority of this stuff happens behind the walls and doors of $600k+ homes in Wakefield Plantation and surrounding similarly-priced neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary