Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You need to be angry at OPEC
Then, too, are the people who want to keep it where you have to drive to get anywhere. Doesn't work so well when there's a run on the Han-Dee Hugo's, does it?

Nation & World | Drivers in Southeast hit with gas shortage | Seattle Times Newspaper

From the Seattle Times, datelined Raleigh. The pipelines are working, but the frenzy and the insistence of everyone to top off is leaving gas stations dry and people out of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI
I thought that was the way of Americans?
Unfortunately. Maybe political candidates would do better running on the slogan of "Me First" rather than "Country First."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Unfortunately. Maybe political candidates would do better running on the slogan of "Me First" rather than "Country First."
If only we knew what happened about the gov't fearing the people instead of us fearing them. I've been told the nine words you never want to hear, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help.". I didn't think it was supposed to be that way. That's okay, though, because history proves itself over and over. All democracies fail and the country has to resort back to dictatorship. I don't think America is far off and I'm really starting to feel like it would do us all some good.

Quote:
I would love to ride my bike to work. However, one ride down Capital Blvd on my bike, and I probably won't need to worry about a commute or anything else. LOL
Quote:
Sorry, but I live between eleven and fourteen miles from my work, depending on which road you take. Until I move, which I plan to do when my current situation ends, it would take much too long to walk, and bicycling isn't really feasible unless you fancy biking on the Beltline, or possibly on Glenwood during rush hour.
First, there are side streets that always parallel major roads. But I'm sure that would be an inconvenience since it would take a little longer.
Second, the CAT bus I know runs down Capital and Glenwood since I've rode them both. It does take a while longer to ride the city bus since it doesn't always take the most direct route from your point A to point B which is also an inconvenience so I guess that's out too.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 PM

100 posts, read 242,877 times
Quote:
If only we knew what happened about the gov't fearing the people instead of us fearing them.
Technology (easier to be control / invoke fear), ignorance (don't know they are being controlled), apathy (don't care that they are being controlled)...

In 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh said,

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government."
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury."

"From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years."
"During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;
2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
3. from courage to liberty;
4. from liberty to abundance;
5. from abundance to complacency;
6. from complacency to apathy;
7. from apathy to dependence; <---You Are Here
8. from dependence back into bondage. <-- Soon Here

Great thing everyone remembers and acts like we are a republic, right...? /sarcasm

Old 09-27-2008, 07:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
^Great post! I'm just glad I'm not the only one. And for the others who don't believe, take my advice and start stocking up.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:39 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
...take my advice and start stocking up.
So, it is about 'me, me, me'!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:12 AM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
Yeah, let me pack my 4 kids on my back and hop on a bike.. that'll be safe.. thanks for the tips. You guys are all so smart. So glad I came here to read all the advice. Heading to Walmart to find a really sturdy bike to hold all of us.

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
So, it is about 'me, me, me'!
Not entirely. It's just as much about "I, I, I."

Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
How long until the headlines of someone's house blowing up from improper storage of a gas stock pile?

People need to calm down.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Are there HOA regulations against storing enough gasoline in your garage to blow the whole subdivision sky-high?

I sure hope enough diesel is left to put into the fire engines.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:54 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Are there HOA regulations against storing enough gasoline in your garage to blow the whole subdivision sky-high?

I sure hope enough diesel is left to put into the fire engines.
I'm sure some HOAs address the gas storage issue. So, first you will get a letter. Then you will get another letter. Next the fines will start. Finally, your house is confiscated. Too bad the house blew prior to the second letter arriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary