Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:58 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

If your house blows before they issue the fines, do you still have to pay?

"We're sorry, that charred black color is against regulations."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 AM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Yeah, let me pack my 4 kids on my back and hop on a bike.. that'll be safe.. thanks for the tips. You guys are all so smart. So glad I came here to read all the advice. Heading to Walmart to find a really sturdy bike to hold all of us.
I stopped riding my bike for primary transportation when I had kids. You're right that it is often not feasible with multiple children. I'm working mine up to the point we can all ride together... soon! We are very lucky in our part of Durham to have connected, wide bike lanes and trails.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
So, how would we get to work on Monday if there was no fuel available for our cars? Hmmm, maybe we could walk or ride a bicycle. Ooops, nope, we can't do that. A bicycle doesn't have air conditioning or a charger for our cell phones.
I have to lug two laptops and various documents back and forth. Walking - not possible. Biking - er, not possible. And I've no desire to live IN RTP!

I work from home as much as I can, though.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 AM

76 posts, read 195,242 times
I certainly do not fill up extra containers. I usually fill my car one every other week. Now I top it off once a week. I can't see how that causes a problem, as I use the same amount of gas over the course of the 2 weeks. I just make sure I go from 2/3 full to full, rather than 1/3 full to full. Worst case scenario, I will ride my bike to work. I have an excellent Cary location, so I have a very short distance to RTP. It is easily bike-able, as long as it it not raining.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Jedi View Post
I certainly do not fill up extra containers. I usually fill my car one every other week. Now I top it off once a week. I can't see how that causes a problem, as I use the same amount of gas over the course of the 2 weeks. I just make sure I go from 2/3 full to full, rather than 1/3 full to full. Worst case scenario, I will ride my bike to work. I have an excellent Cary location, so I have a very short distance to RTP. It is easily bike-able, as long as it it not raining.
That's reasonable.

What's not reasonable is going to the gas station with a truckload of 10-gallon cans, filling up the truck, then filling all the cans.

And then storing them in the garage to create a fire/explosion hazard...

Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
If everyone followed your every other week routine, demand would be a lot more evenly distributed. Now, everyone is concentrating demand during a period of more limited supply, which is why we have the shortages.

I've had to buy premium a few times for a car that certainly doesn't require it. Premium is almost always available somewhere. I'd rather let my car get to 1/4 tank and do one fill-up on premium than top it off with regular more often.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM

76 posts, read 195,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If everyone followed your every other week routine, demand would be a lot more evenly distributed. Now, everyone is concentrating demand during a period of more limited supply, which is why we have the shortages.

I've had to buy premium a few times for a car that certainly doesn't require it. Premium is almost always available somewhere. I'd rather let my car get to 1/4 tank and do one fill-up on premium than top it off with regular more often.
But what I am asking is if everyone is topping off more often, they are pumping less at that time because they do not have an empty tank. So doesn't it all come out to the same over a week or two period? Unless of course people fill up extra containers.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:54 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
But what I am asking is if everyone is topping off more often, they are pumping less at that time because they do not have an empty tank. So doesn't it all come out to the same over a week or two period? Unless of course people fill up extra containers.
People are filling containers.

However, I do think that the shortage will level off when everyone is driving around with a near full tank. I think this is the point you were making?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Yes check out picture #15 (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/galleries/gallery/211798.html - broken link) Of course, not everyone is filling extra containers.

Despite new shipments coming in, things haven't gotten much better here in Charlotte. Now we're hearing this could last a few more weeks. In my immediate area (this morning) there is/was? only one station with gas, regular for $4.19/gallon.

Drivers face long lines, short supply

Does the Triangle have a different gasoline source? Why is the situation better there?

Last edited by NCgirl; 09-28-2008 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
2 Gas Stations out on Creedmoor Rd. one on Millbrook and one on Lynn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary