Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am looking to move to the Raleigh area. I am looking to rent or buy a house. My wife and I are in our mid-30s, and we have a 6 month old kid. We are looking for a place near good casual restaurants. Maybe a decent mall. Easy access to airport (less important tho). A pub with a good patio would be good too.
Any suggestions ? or is their other info I should specify ?one other question ? how's the cab situation ? is it easy to get one ? I live in sacramento now, and they suck !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpie View Post
Hi there,
I am looking to move to the Raleigh area. I am looking to rent or buy a house. My wife and I are in our mid-30s, and we have a 6 month old kid. We are looking for a place near good casual restaurants. Maybe a decent mall. Easy access to airport (less important tho). A pub with a good patio would be good too.
Any suggestions ? or is their other info I should specify ?one other question ? how's the cab situation ? is it easy to get one ? I live in sacramento now, and they suck !!!
We're also relocating (from Michigan). We visited recently and had no problem grabbing a cab to and from downtown Raleigh. However, it was pricey. For a trip from the Crabtree Mall area to downtown Raleigh (maybe 6 miles) was $15.

I'm not the expert of the area, so others may have better advice on where to live when it comes to Raleigh with your preferences. What's your price range?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
Price range and your preference in homes (condos, detached, sqft) will influence this a lot. There are a few good areas near downtown Raleigh, North Raleigh is nice, but so are some parts of Apex and Cary that might fit the bill. It all depends if by "Raleigh area" you mean city limits or also the greater Triangle Region and your budget.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Hi there,
If I read between the lines, it sounds to me like you are interested in being close to town for entertainment (pub/cab reference) while embracing your role as parents. To that end, I'd recommend looking just beyond the NW arc of the I-440 Beltline between Wade Ave on the South side of that arc and Wake Forest Rd. on the East side. These areas are basically equidistant to downtown via one of the radial main roads leading into the city but are also older-school suburban developments near Crabtree Mall and North Hills.

As for cabs, they are pretty easy to get downtown. For some fun ways to get around downtown, consider the Raleigh Rickshaws or the Raleigh Showtime Trolley. For pubs with patio seating, I can recommend Hibernian and Napper Tandy's in the Glenwood South area.

Here are some helpful links to get your feet wet:
It's All Here - Crabtree Valley Mall
North Hills - Midtown Raleigh, NC - Shopping, Dining, Office, Residential
Raleigh Rickshaw Co. - Let's Take a Ride!
City of Raleigh | Raleigh Trolley (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Transportation/Cat-2CA-2005207-165827-Raleigh_Trolley.html - broken link)
Napper Tandy's Irish Pub (http://www.nappertandysirishpub.com/raleigh/raleigh.html - broken link)
Hibernian Top Rated Irish Pub and Restaurant Raleigh, NC

Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 AM

121 posts, read 388,599 times
Quote:
Hi there,

What area is your employer located and how long a commute are you comfortable with?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 15,578 times
Try Alexan North Hills, located in Midtown Raleigh.
Alexan North Hills

Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
thx all for your ideas. I guess I am interested in somewhere in Raleigh or Durham. I work remotely, so commuting is not a worry, although I suppose i have to fly now and then. However, I want good restaurants, and shopping. All the staples, best buy's, groceries, gaps, baby gap, etc...
I have heard some good things about Southpoint mall area ? ideas ?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 AM

21 posts, read 69,698 times
You might want to consider the Chapel Hill / Carrboro area ... not only for schools eventually (best in the state), but also for entertainment.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-13-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaves26 View Post
Try Alexan North Hills, located in Midtown Raleigh.
Alexan North Hills
Nice area but way overpriced.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 AM

181 posts, read 485,761 times
Brier Creek area of Raleigh

Southpoint area of Durham

BC area is more pedestrian-friendly, but does not have a giant mall (though there are 3 within a 10-15 minute drive). There is, however, a sizable shopping center that is nice, with a huge variety of stores... you may not miss the mall. BC is also very handy to the airport, & centrally located in the Raleigh-Durham area. Great location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary