Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,803,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Just today I overseeded with Vigoro with RTF. I found the promise of the grass spreading and growing a 2nd shoot to be quite interesting. This is my first time overseeing and hoping it grows well.
I went with the same...guess we will see if it is marketing hype or not lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,192,424 times
Well, I aerated and overseeded this weekend with Pennington Fescue Blend Plus. Now I just need to wait and see how the grass turns out.

FWIW, I rented an aerator from Ace Hardware along with three neighbors. It cost $45 for 3 hours. The aerator did a surprisinly good job pulling up cores in my clay soil. However, by the time I paid for my 1/3 of the cost for the aerator, 20 lbs of seed, 40 lbs lime, and starter fertilizer I figure I only saved a few bucks versus hiring a reputable pro to do the work. While I enjoyed giving it a try, using the aerator was tough (I'm pretty sore today) especially with a small lawn with lots of obstacles to manuever around. I will give strong consideration to hiring this work out next year!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 10-05-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM

43,020 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Well, I aerated and overseeded this weekend with Pennington Fescue Blend Plus. Now I just need to wait and see how the grass turns out.

FWIW, I rented an aerator from Ace Hardware along with three neighbors. It cost $45 for 3 hours. The aerotr did a surprisinly good job pulling up cores in my clay soil. Howeverm, by the time I paid for my 1/3 of the cost for the aerator, 20 lbs of seed, 40 lbs lime, and starter fertilizer I figure I only saved a few bucks versus hiring a reputable pro to do the work. While I enjoyed giving it a try, using the aerator was tough (I'm pretty sore today) especially with a small lawn with lots of obstacles to manuever around. I will give strong consideration to hiring this work out next year!
See if you and the same neighbors can get a discount for giving all your work to the same guy...?

Old 10-12-2008, 06:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,192,424 times
Thumbs up Update

It's been 7 days since my overseed project with Pennington Fescue and I'm starting to get germination of baby grass.

I think I might opt to reseed a little later in October next year so it will be just a tad cooler out next time around.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 20,650 times
Default Any updates or changes for 2009?

NRG,

It is that time again and I was wondering how last years efforts worked out for you? Will you make changes this year?

Thanks,

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

792 posts, read 4,473,280 times
I used Scott's Southern Gold last year and I am pleased with the results, both for overseeding and a small area of new lawn. This year I have about 1/4 acre of new lawn (where there were previously some ugly/dead trees, brush, and weeds) to start from scratch and I am planning on using Scott's Southern Gold again. But I am going to wait at least another week to do it... temps are supposed to be near 90 next week and that's too hot.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,853,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I am going to wait at least another week to do it... temps are supposed to be near 90 next week and that's too hot.
September seems too early here to do any seeding. I tend to wait until October.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times
So who would you hire to do it professionally if you don't do it yourself? We are too old and worn out to push an aerator around.
I have a call into TrueGreen but they must be busy cause they don't call back. Alot of good ole boys on craigs list advertising this service. I just want to know who to call for the best price and service. I'm in Chapel Hill

Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM

532 posts, read 2,838,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I can't remember the brand, but last year we seeded with a fescue they carried at Lowe's and was supposedly developed by NCSU (they were promoting it). I just can't remember the name. I was planning on going later this week to see if they still carry it.
I noticed in Homewood Nursery's email tht they carry Gold Standard brand and "Gold Standard Fescue lawn seed, the best seed for our area. It features the TOP PERFORMING FESCUE SEEDS FROM NC STATE'S TURF TRIALS!"

I didn't get over there (Homewood)to check it out, but I did purchase some Scott's Water-Smart, Heat Resistant seed from Lowes and will apply it sometime in the next few weeks. It's still kind of hot and dry right now, isn't it?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,049,714 times
I would wait at least another week especially if you can't keep the soil moist. I know NCSU recommends 9/1 for seeding but upper 80s and dry is not ideal ...
Most seed germinates in 21 days or so - early Oct is fine.
Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary