Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

My neighbors and I are renting an aerator this weekend and splitting the cost. I've already applied lime so after I aerate I will apply starter fertilizer and overseed with fescue.

For those of you with fescue lawns, what type of fescue (brand) seed did you use? I've been leaning towards Pennington Smart Seed Fescue/Blue Grass Mix but due to a very tight budget might just go with the economically priced T.L.C Turf Type Tall Fescue Blend.

What do you use and how has it worked out for you?

Before anybody starts slamming fescue becasue of its water requirements, I would like to point out that my fescue lawn gets along just fine with the water provided by mother nature so it is a good choice for my lawn.

(not my lawn ..... yet!)

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 09-30-2008 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I can't remember the brand, but last year we seeded with a fescue they carried at Lowe's and was supposedly developed by NCSU (they were promoting it). I just can't remember the name. I was planning on going later this week to see if they still carry it.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My neighbors and I are renting an aerator this weekend and splitting the cost. I've already applied lime so after I aerate I will apply starter fertilizer and overseed with fescue.

For those of you with fescue lawns, what type of fescue (brand) seed did you use? I've been leaning towards Pennington Smart Seed Fescue/Blue Grass Mix but due to a very tight budget might just go with the economically priced T.L.C Turf Type Tall Fescue Blend.

What do you use and how has it worked out for you?

Before anybody starts slamming fescue becasue of its water requirements, I would like to point out that my fescue lawn gets along just fine with the water provided by mother nature so it is a good choice for my lawn.

(not my lawn ..... yet!)
I don't know the answer to that, but welcome back!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
you never ask another man what kind of fescue he'll be using...jeez...since Bush took office this country has just lost all manners. :-)

I'll probably use the most expensive from Lowe's thinking it's the best...because I'm an idiot....

any recommendations from folks?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 PM

148 posts, read 676,625 times
Lesco makes the best fescue seed and it is the number one selling fescue seed in North Carolina - its called Lesco transition blend.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:24 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I chose 2 types.. the Smart Seed (just re-seeded last week) and I think it had some shade tolerance. Lowes was almost out of the best ones. I was looking for the Pennington (can't remember the name).. but a guy before me picked up the last bag.... so I picked up the Smart Seed instead. I was going to get Scotts Heat Blue Tolerant, (can't remember if I have that in the correct order) but I guy stopped me in the isle and told me not to waste my money. Expensive seed and it didn't work.. so he said. I also heard Southern Gold (something like that) was also good - I think that is made by Scott's also.. but I didn't get it. I always heard you should use a blend of fescue .. around 3 kinds for best results. I went to Ace and they had a better selection. I picked up something there.. but can't remember name.. it wasn't Scotts or Pennington.. but had the blend of fescue and bluegrass seed in it .. so we'll see. Happy planting!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
Lesco makes the best fescue seed and it is the number one selling fescue seed in North Carolina - its called Lesco transition blend.

Do you buy Lesco transition blend at a big box sotre like Home Depot, or do I need to go to a place like John Deere? I did some googling and it does seem like this product is a popular and reliable choice. Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 AM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Big box home improvement stores normally carry it.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 AM

46 posts, read 307,902 times
Holden's hardware off the 70 in Clayton has 50 lb sacks of what they call 'Contractors' blend for $58. It's about 85% tall Fescue and 15% of another Fescue.

I'm going to lime, aerate and lay that down.

I just moved into Flowers so I need a quick green up!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Just today I overseeded with Vigoro with RTF (broken link). I found the promise of the grass spreading and growing a 2nd shoot to be quite interesting. This is my first time overseeing and hoping it grows well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary