Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
My hubby is a scientist GSK, and he was advised that his entire department is at risk.

Take a look at United Therapeutics down the street from GSK. Their new building is coming along and they will be employing hundreds of people. GSK typically has let people go from one department and hired in others, as business needs change. United Therapeutics looks to have more solid growth going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
Sorry New User. I was thinking of you & my brother when I heard the news on Monday. Luckily, he made the cut. I hope you find something quickly.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Default Blessed are God's Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the support.

I have about 4 months of severance, but I know from experience that it will go fast. It took me 6 months to find a job in 2004. It also took me 8 months to find a job once my wife and I decided to come here in 2006. That was back when the economy was rockin'.
Sorry to hear this NewUser; I too was laid off for 6 months in NY, which somehow opened the door for a better life for my family and I here in NC. In the long run it was a blessing in disguise for me. As my cousin would say to me 'every disappointment is a redirection', hang in there NewUser, I will pray for you and others in this position because I know what it feels like. To quote a verse from one the many songs of the great Bob Marley "when one door is closed, don't you know, the other is opened". Chin up baby ... chin up and just spend a lot of quality time with your 3 year old son. You will be

Peace!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
To all facing imminent layoffs or the possibility of layoffs best of luck.
How slow the economy will get is anyone's guess. All the news we read
and see on TV, Radio, Internet is just that news, but until its hits home or your wallet it usually is worse.

But never give up hope, the next best job is out there awaiting those that
go for it again and again and again!

Gene Krantz from Apollo 13 said it best, "Failure is NOT an option!" Remember
your as bright, smart, and dedicated as YOU want to be!

Best of luck NewUser and all! Can hardly watch the news anymore and now read
threads like this without getting depressed until I realize I am healthy, happy, and
blessed! Keeps me going!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
To all facing imminent layoffs or the possibility of layoffs best of luck.
How slow the economy will get is anyone's guess. All the news we read
and see on TV, Radio, Internet is just that news, but until its hits home or your wallet it usually is worse.

But never give up hope, the next best job is out there awaiting those that
go for it again and again and again!

Gene Krantz from Apollo 13 said it best, "Failure is NOT an option!" Remember
your as bright, smart, and dedicated as YOU want to be!

Best of luck NewUser and all! Can hardly watch the news anymore and now read
threads like this without getting depressed until I realize I am healthy, happy, and
blessed! Keeps me going!!!!
Thanks! That was a really great post.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Fidelity reportedly may lay off up to 4,000 - The Boston Globe

Old 10-28-2008, 04:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Oh no! After relocated all those people here...? (I haven't read the article yet, are they included)

Old 10-28-2008, 05:36 PM

426 posts, read 1,489,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Oh no! After relocated all those people here...? (I haven't read the article yet, are they included)

We are one of the relocated families. At this point its very hush hush, no one knows anything. Dh just told me about this today, naturally Im stressed.

NewUser, hope something better comes along quickly!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Default Moderator note

stick to the op if you have a post missing check out its new location in your post history

Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
DH works for a company that is selling a huge system to an area pharma that will soon hire 1,000 new employees. Can't say which one yet (but it's not Quintiles as reported here in July).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary