Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,908,640 times

Advertisements

Less, but we are not worried about leaving anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 AM

50 posts, read 185,848 times
near north hills, 40% more after three years (on paper anyway), but all the tear downs in my neighborhood are at least 1500 sqft more than my house, which makes my house look like a bargain. We consider ourselves lucky.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,799,606 times
I have been in my house a little less than a year. I could probably sell it for close to what I paid but not more.
I don't really care.
I'm in the house to stay (barring anything happening that couldn't be managed to) and I have a strong equity position. I have more home than I ever thought I could have, and I have no ambitions to buy anything bigger or nicer. I have a fixed mortgage that I can handle at favorable terms.
I'm done.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,855,884 times
It is remarkable how everyone's home value is higher than when they bought it, even if they bought it since 2005.

I think the question is answered when it comes time to actually sell your home. Then the true value is revealed.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,114,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I think the question is answered when it comes time to actually sell your home. Then the true value is revealed.
Agreed... In my 'hood, comps are all over the place. I would think with the upgrades I've completed, I would recoup my expenses and the purchase price of the house. But, who really knows until I list it on the market.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:52 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,654,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Agreed... In my 'hood, comps are all over the place. I would think with the upgrades I've completed, I would recoup my expenses and the purchase price of the house. But, who really knows until I list it on the market.
It's not the list price, it's the sale price. People in my 'hood appear to be pretty optimistic about the value of their homes. We'll see how it pans out when they sell.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,320,017 times
I think MikeJ said it best!

Your house, my house, the Biltmore Estate house, is ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay for them! No more and no less. Trying to estimate what your house will sell for in any given time frame is like rolling a 7 on a single die. Yea, seeing what homes sold for near and far from you is beneficial and necessary but saying your home is worth more or less than the comp sheet is irrelevant IMO UNLESS you just sold it and at that point you know what it is truly worth.

I have seen homes sell for far more than I thought or IMO should have and ones that sold for far less, having me and their current owners shaking their heads. Some side-2-side and other up & down! The relative factor on price is also TIME. One can sell quick at a low price or long at a high price or visa-versa. One just never knows.

Its all predicated on the Buyers will. The best way to enhance a 'Buyer's willing-ness' is with a good real estate agent. They can bring the right pre-qualified Buyers to your personal castle! Kind of like the modern day Pip-Piper's, they are! This is not a sales pitch for a agent just tried and true facts!

Of coarse I too have visions of my home being worth 10x my 401k savings (pre-crash that is) but being I'm not planning on moving anytime soon, having it worth the value of a dry roof over my head that keeps us warm and cool is OKAY with me!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM

621 posts, read 2,211,712 times
While it's great news that some are reporting increases in their home values, don't bank on it staying that way or even being true. People are beginning to realize the actual values of home, and with homes in some areas at astronomical prices (>600k) it'll settle out over time. You have to remember, we don't live in NY or LA, property here is abundant. To bank on the concept that your house values will continue to increase is hoping for a disaster. Just secure your mortgage and pay it off as you would any other debt--you will be thankful later on.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,028,822 times
I am pretty confident that *our* home, for *now* will continue to increase in value because of the low price point (less than 200K) in Cary and the large size of the lot (again, for Cary standards). While I would agree that houses in the 500-600K price range will probably even out, there is definitely a shortage of sub 200K homes in the area.
But...I'm not selling it anytime soon, so it doesn't really matter!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,114,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
It's not the list price, it's the sale price. People in my 'hood appear to be pretty optimistic about the value of their homes. We'll see how it pans out when they sell.
Exactly.... Despite any appraised value, someone is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary