Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,837 times

Advertisements

So from what I have read, the best place to live if you have a family, not much into going to clubs, need good schools, and like quaint down town shopping is cary? Is that a good observation! please fill me in on the school district situation PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor5 View Post
I live in martin county florida, which was listed on the forbes list #7 best places to raise a family. I was born and raised here I am raising 3 kids here and love it. The issue is my husband has changed careers and is now living during the week in Orlando. I hate orlando the thought of moving there makes me sick! My husband has a job offer with the same company in Cary NC. Could some one give me some advice on good school districs in the 27513 zip.
We used to live in 27513. Schools in Wake County really don't go by zip code. If you lived in 27513 and had elementary school children they could go to Morrisville YR, Weatherstone, Reedy Creek, Northwoods, Briarcliff, Cary, Kingswood, Adams, Laurel Park, etc. Definitely use the search function. There's a ton of information about the Wake County Public School System.

We lived in Tampa for a year before we moved to Cary. It was the worst place I've ever lived by a mile. Our neighborhood was fantastic, but Tampa was dirty and depressing and wages were terrible. Cary is so much more family friendly.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 PM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niti05 View Post
I have a friend in Orlando who hates it. Complains but hasnt left yet. He complains about the job market being that Orlando is a tourist city. The pay is low. He claims if your making $12/hr your on the high end. The traffic & the drivers. I can personally attest to that...my 2nd time visiting I was hit by a Floridian they just drove into my lane. Thank god I had a witness who stopped and waited with me for the police! The rent is high. He pays about $1000 a mth for a 2bedroom house. Its old and in a not so safe looking area. I guess if he was financially stable he wouldn't complain as much.
I have to disagree with you about the housing in Orlando. Housing here isn't any cheaper--they're about the same. Rent for a 1200 sqft townhouse here is actually more expensive than in Orlando (depending upon where you want to be). Btw, if you friend needs a place he/she can look to rent my townhouse there

However, I do agree with you about the people and drivers there. I'm very glad I moved out of Florida (lived in both Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale). The weather is insane and the city planning was atrocious. In addition to that, whenever an election comes around, Floridians come out in full force to ruin any fairness that's left in the race...

As for pay, it's all dependent upon the industry and the timing. Obviously the market isn't very good now, but the numbers tell me that the average pay in FL is higher than here in NC. This is most likely related to cost of living and what not--bc FL residents were victims of crooked housing appraisers who signed off on inflated home values.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 4,837 times
my focus right now is middle schools and high schools. If we move at the end of the school year they will only have one more year than I have to look into high schools. I have been on the web site great school.com. apex middle is rated a 10. They are in a 10 rated school now and they seem to be about the same size. I want to try to stay in or closes to the 27513 zip , because that where my husband will be working. does anyone have any info on reedy creek vs west cary or apex middle? I am looking to rent in a neighborhood with familys. Realestate agents fill free to respond!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
my focus right now is middle schools and high schools. If we move at the end of the school year they will only have one more year than I have to look into high schools. I have been on the web site great school.com. apex middle is rated a 10. They are in a 10 rated school now and they seem to be about the same size. I want to try to stay in or closes to the 27513 zip , because that where my husband will be working. does anyone have any info on reedy creek vs west cary or apex middle? I am looking to rent in a neighborhood with familys. Realestate agents fill free to respond!
If you buy in 27513 I wouldn't fall in love with the current HS assignment. A lot of 27513 is currently assigned to Green Hope which I think may be slightly over capacity. Panther Creek is definitely over capacity. I suspect there will be reassignments to Cary High.
As far as middle schools, you might also want to consider Salem Middle which I've heard is excellent.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM

94 posts, read 433,578 times
We moved from Miami to Cary 2 1/2 months ago. We love it, love it, love it, love it. Only wish we would have done so sooner.

Now the schools, I am not at all happy with year-round, and the grading system seems archaic to me! However, I am going to give it all a fair shot, my son is in the 4th grade so I will wait the rest of this school year and 5th grade. If I am still not loving it, I will probably enroll him in Catholic School, which is what we did in Miami.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
So from what I have read, the best place to live if you have a family, not much into going to clubs, need good schools, and like quaint down town shopping is cary? Is that a good observation! please fill me in on the school district situation PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
[personal rant] It would behoove you to actually read this forum before you ask the same question everyone else asks. [/personal rant] You would know, then, that the school situation is a mess. You should never select a neighborhood based on where you think your kids are going to school, because as soon as you get used to it, they'll be reassigned to someplace halfway across town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary