Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 03:58 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,217 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

Do many of the neighborhoods in Raleigh metro have street lights? I'm currently in Nevada, and just about all of the old and new developments have street lights on both sides of the street.

I know that in parts of pennsylvania where we were considering a move there were not any. And i found that strange because the taxes there were much higher then here in Nevada.

Thanks

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,251,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Hello everybody!

Do many of the neighborhoods in Raleigh metro have street lights? I'm currently in Nevada, and just about all of the old and new developments have street lights on both sides of the street.

I know that in parts of pennsylvania where we were considering a move there were not any. And i found that strange because the taxes there were much higher then here in Nevada.

Thanks

T
Another poster mentioned a couple weeks ago that when she visited Raleigh she was surprised by lack of street lights. A concern to me as well because sometimes I walk or run after dark.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Another poster mentioned a couple weeks ago that when she visited Raleigh she was surprised by lack of street lights. A concern to me as well because sometimes I walk or run after dark.
Hrm...it seems like Raleigh has plenty of street lights (especially in newer neighborhoods), but that they tend to be blocked out by the trees that Raleigh is so proud of.

The 'glaring' exception though are the highways. It appears that the new section of US-1 in Cary will be lit, but everywhere else it's dark.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Hrm...it seems like Raleigh has plenty of street lights (especially in newer neighborhoods), but that they tend to be blocked out by the trees that Raleigh is so proud of.

The 'glaring' exception though are the highways. It appears that the new section of US-1 in Cary will be lit, but everywhere else it's dark.
I live in a heavily treed 1960's neighborhood in Portland, but it's well lit. What do you consider a newer neighborhood? I have a whole list of things now I never thought of and wouldn't have had time to check on our first exploratory visit. I've added streetlights to my list for the next visit. Of course, the lighting issue might be subjective depending on an individual's vision.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
My guess is that she was mostly visiting areas outside the city limits.

All the major cities in the Triangle have street lights on their streets...especially if they have residences or businesses on them. Subdivisions built outside city limits most likely won't have them, unless an HOA or the developer takes it upon themselves to install some. But inside the city limits, you should find them. (If not, you can always request the city install some!)

Some cities/towns put more than others. I personally think Raleigh is one of the best cities in the state as far as coverage goes. (Replacing burn-out bulbs, though, they are a little slack.)
Durham and Chapel Hill often have areas that I think could use better coverage...and thus have some room for improvement. I'm kinda surprised the residents don't push for better lighting on some roads that I've been on.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
My guess is that she was mostly visiting areas outside the city limits.

All the major cities in the Triangle have street lights on their streets...especially if they have residences or businesses on them. Subdivisions built outside city limits most likely won't have them, unless an HOA or the developer takes it upon themselves to install some. But inside the city limits, you should find them. (If not, you can always request the city install some!)
Thanks, we're city people so it shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary