Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM

71 posts, read 309,683 times

Advertisements

Hi All ,

We are planning to relocate to NC from MA...had a trip to NC and spent some good time around towns like Raleigh, Cary, Apex , Wake Forest....

Really liked the wake forest area...around the danforth neighbourhood.
I think it is a centex community.

My work would be in the RTP....so here comes my questions...

1) What is the average commute time to RTP?
2) What would be the tax on a $300K house?

Please let me know....
Thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:48 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
I'll be moving to Dansforth this summer. Maybe we'll be neighbors

Commute time to RTP is about 20-30 minutes. I-540 is a breeze, but Capital Blvd tends to get backed up. I'm planning on taking Ligon Mill/US-401 to I-540 to avoid that traffic.

Unfortunately, WF has the second highest property tax rate in the county (1.174%). So on a $300k house, you're looking at $3522.
The lowest is Apex (1.034%) and Cary (1.054%) for comparison. And unincorporated areas of the county are 0.634% (but you don't have services).
I'd expect these rates to go up though, considering we just past a huge school bond. Probably not nearly as bad as Taxachussets though

Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
I don't know where the Danforth neighborhood is in Wake Forest. However, I can tell you that it took me 30 minutes to drive from my office on Development Dr. in RTP to the Stonegate subdivision in Wake Forest (Coach Lantern Rd.) when I left my office at 4:30 pm. It was a 27 mile drive.

The taxes in Wake Forest are fairly high. County taxes are 0.634. City taxes are .54. So, taxes on a $300K house would be a little less than $300/month. Here is a list of the tax rates for various cities in the area.

http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/3075F8F0-0939-413A-8CDE-EE09921BA00D/0/TaxRates2006.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-11-2007, 07:23 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
Actually, now that I've thought about it more....20-30 minutes is too optimistic. 30 minutes non rush hour/40 minutes rush hour is a better estimate.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 AM

42 posts, read 166,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Unfortunately, WF has the second highest property tax rate in the county (1.174%). So on a $300k house, you're looking at $3522.
The lowest is Apex (1.034%) and Cary (1.054%) for comparison. And unincorporated areas of the county are 0.634% (but you don't have services).
What services do you lose by purchasing in an unincorporated area? I think WF has two different tax rates? Do you lose a lot by purchasing outside the city area?

Old 02-12-2007, 05:21 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyscot View Post
What services do you lose by purchasing in an unincorporated area? I think WF has two different tax rates? Do you lose a lot by purchasing outside the city area?

We are outside the incorporated area, which means we have septic and community well (not city water and sewer), and we have shaw sanitation for our trash and recycling (not the town of wake forest). I don't think that is losing anything, just different services. We can use all of the city parks and recreation services without paying more because we are still in wake forest.

Hopefully this helps
leighj

Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,931,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
Hi All ,

We are planning to relocate to NC from MA...had a trip to NC and spent some good time around towns like Raleigh, Cary, Apex , Wake Forest....

Please let me know....
Thanks All!

We just bought a house in Dansforth and will be moving there sometime in the next few months. I won't be working in RTP but my wife is looking for jobs and we didn't want to live TOO far away from there just in case.

Last week I was there and it took me 25 minutes to go from the Falls River Damn to the intersection of I-40 and the Durham Freeway. I left the house at 730am so I could see what it was like during rush hour. I would expect a commute from Wake Forest/Dansforth to be pretty similar as it took me 5-10 minutes just to make it down Falls of Neuse and onto I-540. I-540 was a breeze until you hit the ramp to I-40 where it took me 5 minutes of stop/start traffic to get onto I-40. I'm hoping when the next section of I-540 opens up to Hwy 55 this problem gets some relief.

I don't think making it to I-540 will be as hard from Dansforth since there are 3 different ways to goto I-540, but it is a few miles east of the Falls Damn.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,931,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
Hi All ,

Please let me know....
Thanks All!
Also, as far as taxes are concerned they will be $200-$300 more per year than some of the other areas. We were looking in North Raleigh initially (Falls River / Bedford) but I think we got way more house for the money in Dansforth so I was willing to pay the extra taxes. (Note you won't "lose" all of that money, either, as you'll recoup some of it at tax time.)

We wanted a bigger lot than what most places near Falls River/Bedford offered and you can't buy anything great there for under $350K IMO. They are very nice subs, though, but right now Dansforth fit our needs better given the amount of money we were going to spend.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM

71 posts, read 309,683 times
Wow!! Thanks to all for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary