Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times

Advertisements

Hello I was wondering if it is a good idea for a new LPN graduate to live here. Currently other than places like Maximum Healthcare I don't see a lot of locations hiring new LPN grads. Although im a new lpn ive been working in a hospital previously for well over 7 years. I know Duke and all are within this location by why is there a lack of job openings? Am I searching in the wrong places or what? Now I'm in Richmond and not very happy with my job. I want to work in a fast paste environment like a hospital with benefits. I'm sorry to have to ask this here but I've been looking for months and can't seem to find a LPN job that will call me back or dont require a year of being a LPN. i was using your news 17 classified feature, as well as craigslist & careerbuilder.com so please do not think i have not tried to do anything at all. ive also called several location as well to no luck. I'm looking for full time night jobs so if anyone just happens to see or know of anything please post it here thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Duke hires LPNs but primarily in the clinics (PDC aka Private Diagnostic clinic). It is a fast paced environment, very educational. I recommend you google Duke HR, then you can click on nursing jobs...the LPN positions are mixed in with all nursing positions. I just checked the site and there are several openings. You have to apply online - HR will review the application and forward it to the appropriate manager.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 27,760 times
My wife is an LPN and moving here from upstate New York was a stellar move for her. There are a ton of doctor's offices/groups here. LPN jobs are very plentiful here....at least is seems that way to me and my wife! Good luck to you

Old 10-06-2008, 12:06 PM

wow do you have any suggestions? it would be nice if theyd help us move but im sure it is unlikely right? what area are you guys in? durham? raleigh?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 27,760 times
It would be nice if they would help you move but I wouldn't count on that...relocation assistance is more of a thing of the past.

I work in Raleigh and my wife works in Cary. As to finding a job...I'm not sure where to suggest to find a good listing of jobs. It seems like there is an endless amount of doctor offices/clinics/groups though. Where did you go to train for your license? They may have a career center or some other network that could assist you with your job search...

Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
wow do you have any suggestions? it would be nice if theyd help us move but im sure it is unlikely right? what area are you guys in? durham? raleigh?
My husband is an RN at Durham Regional Hospital, I'm an NP at Duke (Durham Regional is a Duke affiliate hospital). We live in West Cary and the commute isn't bad at all - about 19.4 miles. You could easily live in Durham. Most of my co-workers do. You should go to the Duke HR website and fill out your application as everything is done online. Once you do this, you can peruse the openings and apply for those particular positions. You can even do a job search and then you'll get email daily regarding openings in areas of interest to you. It takes a while to hear back, something like 3 weeks. You also need to get your NC nursing license. Not sure where you are located now, but if you're in a "nursing compact state", it is very easy. You can also apply for your NC license online, just go to NCBON. It takes about 8 weeks to complete the licensure application process...you have to be fingerprinted by your local police station in your current state and have a BCI check done.

As far as relocation assistance, I'm not certain they have relocation assistance for LPNs. My husband did get a $4K relocation bonus as an RN. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,016 times
Default Just Plan

Quote:
Hello I was wondering if it is a good idea for a new LPN graduate to live here. Currently other than places like Maximum Healthcare I don't see a lot of locations hiring new LPN grads. Although im a new lpn ive been working in a hospital previously for well over 7 years. I know Duke and all are within this location by why is there a lack of job openings? Am I searching in the wrong places or what? Now I'm in Richmond and not very happy with my job. I want to work in a fast paste environment like a hospital with benefits. I'm sorry to have to ask this here but I've been looking for months and can't seem to find a LPN job that will call me back or dont require a year of being a LPN. i was using your news 17 classified feature, as well as craigslist & careerbuilder.com so please do not think i have not tried to do anything at all. ive also called several location as well to no luck. I'm looking for full time night jobs so if anyone just happens to see or know of anything please post it here thanks.
Are you kidding me? There are hospitals here in just about every corner there is. Durham alone is referred to as "The City of Medicine". I am sure you will be able to find something, everything should be

Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
If you want to consider the eastern part of the State, take a look at New Bern. They are always looking for LPN's at the hospital. It is growing but can't keep up with the growth around it.

Actually, my initial response to your question would be "yes." Regardless of where "here" is.

lln

Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Are you kidding me? There are hospitals here in just about every corner there is. Durham alone is referred to as "The City of Medicine". I am sure you will be able to find something, everything should be
yeah but i called around and not even duke hires LPNs without 1 years experience.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,016 times
Quote:
yeah but i called around and not even duke hires LPNs without 1 years experience.
Have you been using a recruiter/agency or have you been just calling up hospitals by yourself? In my opinion, I think that you should first search the job websites and get hooked up with a recruiter who will get you the interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary